Lol yet another fencing thread

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We use all stock fence... 48" tall, 6" upright stays, graduated from closer to further apart bottom to top. Works fine for the sheep with no horns, but a pain for the young rams that have horns at 2 months. Horses will put their feet in/on it and ride it down if they want... so I am not much help. But there are 2 guys here closeby with goats, running 50-100 meat goats and they also use the straight woven wire stock fence.... one uses the Gaucho, the other likes Red Brand. The high tensile has advantages and we like it okay in the woven wire type... but I think DS likes the red brand better. Bekaert has a good reputation here.

Crealcritter

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I guess I should of specified perimeter fence, sorry about that.

I'm seriously considering Timeless Fence with 12.5ga high tensile electric wire for the perimeter. I have zero issues with using electric fencing. I know how to install it, I know how to test it and I know how to repair it. I could also use battery powered solar chargers or just regular AC chargers, or a combination of the two.

My problem is I have like a gazillion 6' steel tee-posts already set and spaced 10' apart. I reckon I could pull them up and sell my steel tee-posts, but man what a pain it would be to replace them all with Timeless tee-posts. Plus timeless posts are pretty high priced.

Those little yellow plastic electric wire tee-post thingies are basicly chinese crap, short/long it doesn't matter 1 year in the sun and being frozen in the winter and they start breaking or bending.

I may consider using Lock-Jawz also with my existing tee-posts. but They also look like they could break pretty easily by an animal or branch or...

I'm going to order a free sample from timeless so I can see what it's all about.

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Same for my local TSCs. They also don't order what I ask, they just ignore it or "forget" & I have to nag them every week until they do it. And then they may not call me when order arrives or worse, sell it out from under me when it should be held for me. Ugh.

After my more recent experiences at RK, I wouldn't think of having the store order anything for me again. They had a nice lady manager a few years back who absolutely loved me and would follow up on my orders. She would even bake me cookies, but she's gone now.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess I should of specified perimeter fence, sorry about that.

I'm seriously considering Timeless Fence with 12.5ga high tensile electric wire for the perimeter. I have zero issues with using electric fencing. I know how to install it, I know how to test it and I know how to repair it. I could also use battery powered solar chargers or just regular AC chargers, or a combination of the two.

My problem is I have like a gazillion 6' steel tee-posts already set and spaced 10' apart. I reckon I could pull them up and sell my steel tee-posts, but man what a pain it would be to replace them all with Timeless tee-posts. Plus timeless posts are pretty high priced.

Those little yellow plastic electric wire tee-post thingies are basicly chinese crap, short/long it doesn't matter 1 year in the sun and being frozen in the winter and they start breaking or bending.

I may consider using Lock-Jawz also with my existing tee-posts. but They also look like they could break pretty easily by an animal or branch or...

I'm going to order a free sample from timeless so I can see what it's all about.

I got the Timeless Fence free sample kit, it feels very nice and sturdy!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mike CHS the link you posted is for field fencing with 6" holes. The link he posted for the gaucho fence is for sheep and goats and has 4"x4" holes. Just thought I'd point that out. LOL

Crealcritter

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I got the Timeless Fence free sample kit, it feels very nice and sturdy!

Would it be to much to ask if you could Please post a picture or two? Have you done any kind of testing to it? I'm going to put mine in a vise and wack it with a hammer. Work my way up through the hammer weights to my slege hammer if the posts make it that far.

Facts...
People who know me, know one of my favorite saying is... "If it ain't broke, get a bigger hammer".

I plan on putting my sample to the test. Timeless comes with a 20 year warranty. But Timeless is a newer company, if their products are junk, they won't be in business in 20 years and I'll be SOL...

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Here is another flexible composite post for electric wire. The Pasturepro company has been in business since 05 and their posts come with a 20 year warranty.

Last edited:

Farmer6255

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Looking at fencing for sheep, goats and cows 4"x4" squares woven wire 4'x330' The options are so confusing... I wished there was a companion guide or something. I've decided that I will buy my fencing from Tractor Supply, I have a Love/Hate relationship with Rural King, currently the needle is leaning towards hate.

Option #1 $220.00
https
://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hinge-joint-sheep-goat-fence

Pros
Thick wire, made in USA, $120.00
Cons
Hinge joint, No warranty info, No breaking weight listed. No coating mentioned so I assume highly subject to rusting, Only available in my area as special order.

Option #2 $240.00
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/red-brand-goat-fence-48-in-x-330-ft?cm_vc=-10005

Pros
Made in USA Class 1 galvanization, heavy wire 10ga Upper & Lower / 12ga Filler, Square Deal® Knot. Available (in stock) at the store.

Cons
No warranty information, No weight Breakage weighting, High Tinsel wire, highly subject to rusting.

Option #3 $250.00
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ence-330-ft-1348-4-125-ga-213412?cm_vc=-10005

Pros Made in USA, "S" knot, Bezinal coating on the metal wire fence lasts at least 30 years.

Cons 12.5ga stay wire 14ga filler wires, 805 lbs breaking strength. Only available as special order.

Other options... (less desirable)
Field fence
Cattle panels

i'm so flipping confused... 🆘
You also need to consider the posts you are putting the wire on. If it's all new stuff (posts and wire) then I'd go with the one with best longevity. If you are putting it on old posts then a 10-20 year mesh life might be ok if that's all the posts will last.

Hinge joint is good among trees where there fence might get something fall on it, but I find stock can stretch hinge joint easier than the wire mesh designs with one solid vertical wire.

Tim Thomson has done some good wire fencing reviews on yt.

Latest posts