Lol yet another fencing thread

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Those old ACs are great tractors and you can do about anything with them if you know what you are doing. Just don’t shove the auger down so it goes as fast as it can. Go slow and clean out the hole with the auger as you go. If you go too fast you may have to back the auger out. That has to be done by hand. It is NOT fun. Ask me how I know.

WyoLiving

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
DH sets all of our wooden corner posts in concrete. He is not a woodworker per se, but he is an engineer.
He uses a "H" brace system with and "x" of wire for the corners and gate posts.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
One suggestion.... make your gates 16 footers.... you never know when you need to get through one with a truck, tractor, trailer.... whatever.... If it is snowy you need leeway, if it is muddy, you need leeway.... put 2, 8 footers if you want, but believe me.... having to put in a bigger gate is a royal PITA......Ask anyone on here that has put in 8 or 10 or 12 ft gates and they will all tell you that they wish they had put in a bigger gate....
On top of that, if you need to get a neighbors equipment in to say, use a discbine to cut hay, or a tractor, baler , wagon combination, there is room for them. Most drills that you rent from even a co-op, need a minimum 10 or 12 foot gate to squeeze through. I have a little Farmall H and the one place has 10 ft and 12 ft gates from field to field... and it is a real jockeying to get a pull behind side delivery rake through them.... The rake is offset, and I have to go through 2 of the gates at a certain angle and then swing the tractor around so it pulls the rake through at an angle to get it between the posts.
12 foot may be wide enough, but with little wiggle room.... believe me it is a pain to have to barely "crawl through" with the equipment touching the sides of the posts.