Look what I found under my porch this morning! (hint: it's a rabbit!!)

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Look everyone! I can't believe what I found under our porch this morning after work!

My neighbors say they are not missing any rabbits. I've posted lost pet notifications on Craigslist and local FB pages, and later I will put up posters along our road. We are hoping to find the owners, but since it is so close to easter, I'm afraid that perhaps he was dumped or abandoned. Ideally, we will find his previous home--but if not, my 5-year-old has asked several times if he could have a pet rabbit, so we might contemplate keeping him (or her)....

Does any one have any tips for his temporary or permenant care?--right now he is in my broody-hen jail, which is obviously too small. Is it possible to tell how old he is? Anyone know if this is a recognizable breed? Any opinions on keeping a couple rabbits outside vs one inside?

I am nuts for contemplating keeping a bunny.... I have chicks in the garage, more eggs in the incubator, quail, chickens, pigs, 2 dogs, a cat, and goats on the way. My younger boy suggested we name him "Chocolate Milk." I suggested perhaps, Hershey. And reminded him, of course, that he is not ours.....

Attachments

• 9vXCtOVKQb2vv9Yt8u-hTA.jpg
    9vXCtOVKQb2vv9Yt8u-hTA.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 142

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There's people on craigslist that have rabbits that look like that and they call them magpie harlequin but I'm no expert. Constant access to hay and water. Rabbit pellets aren't overly expensive. If it's just a couple days you won't need much. Maybe the feed store has an open bag you can get cheaper or sell you a couple pounds. Look at that link attached , good site with alot of info. Tuna can size amount of pellets is about all they need. I don't think pine or cedar shavings are good because of the aroma. My opinion I would just use straw, but I don't like the smell of urine mixed with shavings.
Your jail cell is ok for a couple days.
Personally I don't keep them inside. One rabbit per cage or hutch. No fighting that way and I know who is or isn't eating. Make it big enough so they can move around. Easy for you to get in, hard enough to keep predators out. Shaded and dry are important. They don't do very well in heat.
I do like that name, Chocolate Milk. It's a mouthful but it fits.

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the link and the good advice. He's a nice, calm rabbit, if no one claims him, we will seriously consider keeping him as a pet. I had some rabbits when i was a kid that if I recall did some damage (just minor) to the house because we let them run loose. Not too keen on the idea of rabbit-proofing the house or having my woodwork, electrical cords, and area rugs chewed up.... so for that reason keeping them outside appeals. Also don't have a ton of room for a large enclosure in the house. On the other hand, I prefer to keep my dogs inside with us as part of the family, so I can also see the reasons and benefits to keeping him inside.

A rabbit-owning acquaintance gave me the name of a good rescue organization if no owner shows up and we decide re-homing is best. Another acquaintance who raises rabbits for meat and show also said this one might look like a harlequin.

We went out and got hay and a small bag of rabbit feed this afternoon. I hope we can keep him comfortable for a few days until we find out if someone is going to claim him. A rabbit was definitely not in our plans for the summer, but it is tempting....

1618806526602.png

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I use a lil pet kennel or like you call it a Broody Hen-Jail, for my Papa rabbit. It use to be for my Yorkie, before it passed away. However, I keep all my rabbits outside, so I built a frame for the kennel cage and put a roof on it and it works, well. :)

Attachments

• 20210414_175616.jpg
    20210414_175616.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 151

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you do put him outside remember when it gets hot you need either a fan or frozen water bottles to help him stay cool. Rabbits can die very fast from heat.

NEWCOMER

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Rabbits seldom eat carrots. I blame Buggs bunny for my confusion :giganywhoo... i would say pick that lil fellow some fresh wild grass. And if you grow lettuce, give it lettuce. REMEMBER: I AM SAYING THIS BASED OFF EXPERIENCE!! I AM NOT A VETERINARIAN, A EX RABBIT OWNER MAYBE, BUT NOT A VETERINARIAN.

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Haha! He has actually devoured the few carrots I've given him as treats, but maybe this is atypical or unhealthy. Mostly I've been feeding him timothy hay and a handful of pellets daily. He also loves brocolli and spinach, but flat out refused asparagus.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Carrots as an occasional treat, you can feed the tops if you grew them and know if nothing is sprayed on them. Check that site I referred to about the vegetables, definitely no iceberg gives the runs.
I had a feeling you were going to have a new pet.

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Carrots as an occasional treat, you can feed the tops if you grew them and know if nothing is sprayed on them. Check that site I referred to about the vegetables, definitely no iceberg gives the runs.
I had a feeling you were going to have a new pet.
And, I had just about talked myself out of a garden this year too. Oh well, the pigs and the chickens would be sad without the garden too.

Latest posts