Look what we found this morning...

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will! I'll try to get some new pictures of her today or tomorrow.

I am still working on her name LOL. I usually think of a few possible names while they are still gestating, but this time for some reason I was sure Violet would have a bull calf, so I haven't thought of any good heifer names. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: TAH

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I always come up with a name and then it evolves into something else haha. I find it doesn't matter what I start out with their name always changes after I get to know them so now I just wait to see what I start calling them. Right now I have one named Girl, because all I just kept calling her was girly.

Last edited:

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
We always wait till there a few weeks old to get to know them. We then take it to family everyone pits out there suggestions and then we pick. I won on our last to. My dad always picks food names;) he won on to tasty and goes good with.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I got some pictures of Violet's calf this morning. Gertrude (that's what I think we have decided to name her) was getting some lessons on halter-training. When she was a day old I started tying her up for 10-15 minutes at a time each day, right next to Violet. I did this same thing last year to Frankie (Violet's first calf) and by the time he was a week old he was leading on a rope.
I have tried so many different ways of halter-training all the calves we've had in the past few years, and this way has been the most successful. Anyway, Gertrude is now three days old!

Here she is doing "the dead calf flop" to try and get me to untie her

After I pushed her up.

She's free!

And after walking around a bit, she nurses on her mama. :)

Last edited:

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And that white powder on her and Violet is diatomaceous earth (DE). It's supposed to dehydrate the fly larvae and kill them. It's worked well so far!

Reactions: TAH

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Man, wouldn't it be nice to not have to even deal with flys? They are a scourge!