look whos new at my house

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have heard that many times from those that do an annual pig.
It is always hard here too but like you I am thankful for the food.
We may do a few goats this year. I just cannot get attached! ;)

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
years ago, Southern i had a herford bull named bill that i had loved and petted even tho i knew he was destined to fill my freezer. he taught me a valuable lesson that i never forgot. don't get attached. my ex had unbeknownst to me put his heart, tongue etc in a clear plastic bag in the fridge and when i opened the door and saw a heart that had loved me and a tongue that had licked me i almost threw up. i made him give it away and didn't enjoy any of the steaks from bill. never again have i let myself get so attached to something i was going to eat. I'm going to miss piggy, he was so amusing but i knew why he was here

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many years ago I had rented a place with 30 acres of plush pasture and decided I wanted a reminder of growing up with cows and bought 2 steers (1 for us and 1 to sell). My neighbor bought 2 from the same farmer since he didn't want to be outcountried (If that isn't a word it should be). 18 months later and it was time to send them off for processing but I couldn't stand the looks on my kids faces. My neighbor had the same issue so we worked out a swap so when it came time for eating, we were eating his and not ours. :)

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
smart move @Mike CHS. @Southern by choice if i name the ones I'm going to eat its things like burger boy, stewie or soup. the wether i took was just spritzers boy. piggy was just a funny, greedy soul, a couple of weeks ago i forgot to lock the gate and piggy rooted his way out and was standing in my yard when i got home after dark. i stopped at ds house first to unload her groceries and piggy heard us talking and came trotting down the driveway to where we were. she has never figured you can't push or bully a pig and she proceeded to try to push him out of her way. being a pig he just pushed back and decided to climb into the back of my rav4 to get her bagels from Panera bread. she was hollering and pushing, he was grunting and pushing back and I'm laughing so hard there were tears running down my leg. piggy weighed 350+ and never offered to hurt her he just wanted a bagel. i raised a hog for another sister last spring and he was just mean, i was scared of him and was glad to see him go. he would even eat my chickens if they got into his pen. i always thought if i went in there and fell he'd eat me too but this last one was a gentle soul