look whos new at my house

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I always heard you shouldn't name animals you were going to eat - unless of course you name them after a meal - like "Christmas Dinner" or "Sunday Stew". So, the other day DD met our Nasty Rooster (unaffectionately called Spike by DH). She said he was so mean it was okay to put him in a stew pot. But she thought the Turkey hen was too sweet to eat. She wanted to know her name. So I told her we don't name animals we are going to eat, because it was too hard to eat them. So, without missing a beat, she said,"Then the Turkey's name is Edith." Not to be outdone DH said, "What was that? Eatin'" :lol: I was just cracking up!!! :lol: DD was going "NO, I said EDITH!" DH said, "That's what I thought, Eatin'! :lol: So, that solved it. In the roasting pan she will go. :lol:

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
bahaaa, i love your dh sense of humor!!
dsx2 and i went walkabout yesterday just to get out of the house. was to cold to work outside and i was sick of being inside. there is a wild life area not far from me so we went to see what we could see. the eagle had been fishing in the lake and let me get within 50 ft. of his tree. the young hawk was on the side of the road eating something and didn't want to share. the pelicans along with several ducks, sea gulls and cormorants were all floating around doing a little bit of fishing. and when i got home the mama ducks were like hey mom, the pond is broke. i enjoyed my time out.
IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 142

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
bahaaa, i love your dh sense of humor!!
dsx2 and i went walkabout yesterday just to get out of the house. was to cold to work outside and i was sick of being inside. there is a wild life area not far from me so we went to see what we could see. the eagle had been fishing in the lake and let me get within 50 ft. of his tree. the young hawk was on the side of the road eating something and didn't want to share. the pelicans along with several ducks, sea gulls and cormorants were all floating around doing a little bit of fishing. and when i got home the mama ducks were like hey mom, the pond is broke. i enjoyed my time out.View attachment 6576 View attachment 6577 View attachment 6579 View attachment 6580
LOVED your photos! :love You should enter them in the POW contest.

It's cold and WET here. It rained hard over night and now we have puddles all over the place. When it warms up a bit we are going to have to order a load of something to fill the holes. A first I was thinking dirt, but the will just get pushed around and make holes again. Maybe gravel? We have talked about getting a load or two of gravel for the driveway. Maybe we can get a few bags to fill the driveway holes, for now and get the loads of gravel in the Spring.

At any rate, my challenge is to TRY to conquered as much of the mud as I can, at least between where we park the truck and the house, so we don't keep tracking sandy mud in the house. Okay, I can hear y'all laughing about my nieveté. . . :lol: A girl can try can't she??? :lol:

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
thought i would give youall an update on ben. he's growing like a weed and has found his big dog voice he saw the steer coming out of the woods at dark30 the other night and was convinced it was a booger, did his big dog bark and charging till he figured out who it was then he was kind of embarrassed but i was proud of him anyway.View attachment 5579 View attachment 5580

What a darling shot! :love Kate doesn't look uncomfortable with him anymore. :) She almost looks like a proud Mama! :D =D

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
my dd and sil got me a combination present for Christmas. was it something i had asked for? no it wasn't! was it something i would have gotten myself? no it wasn't! am i pleased about it??? i don't know yet. they got me a combination peepot/paper shredder named gracie. really was not wanting another house dog in addition to emma. after ben was killed they told me told me they would help me get another pup. i was planning on another Maremma not a Staffordshire terrier.View attachment 6250
http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/look-whos-new-at-my-house.29870/page-4#post-378768
I saw this photo scrolling and clicked on it. LOL
How is she doing? Where is an update pic? Just sayin':)

The pic cracks me up- it is the classic I am a cute puppy and so terribly bad to the bone. With a smile on her face! :D

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southern by choice I so agree, miss gracie is an adorable dog but started to get in trouble killing my ducks and chickens. the harder I tried to break her of it the sneakier she became till it got to the point that I couldn't let her outside by herself. and no Katie never once tried to stop her, in fact i kind of think she was encouraging her. kate knows not to touch a chicken or a duck but she thought it was fun when grace did. I was totally at my wits end. if I were totally honest with myself , and I will never! admit this to my daughter, she was a sweetie and I liked her a lot but I didn't love her like I do emma and Katie. i'm just not a bullie breed fan and she was a true bulldog. sooo, I rehomed her. she went to live with my ds#4 who has a big fenced in yard and a female great dane to be her big sister but most importantly no poultry. I have always said that if I believed in reincarnation I would want to come back as one of ds#4's animals so gracie has an awesome home. i get to visit with her but I don't have to worry about her killing things. i was really afraid that when kidding season started she would hurt the kids or lambs too. win/win for all concerned. there is a new girl in town but with this borrowed computer i am having trouble loading a picture. will try again later

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad you made the call and she has a great home. Sometimes it just isn't the right or best situation.

I am a new grandma to a 6 month old red coon hound cross.
I get to babysit here and there.:)
But this grandma doesn't play... she will learn manners.:p
Only kinda grandma I want to be any time soon. LOL Made sure all my adult children are aware of this too.;)

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
got one picture of J.J. to load. she is an English shepherd that I got from a rescue in Joplin, mo. they are great farm dogs and she is doing very well. very respectful of the chickens, ducks, goats and sheep. she is six months old now, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and her do something bad but so far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 118

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beautiful dogs all 'round! Love the watchful, alert look on JJ. Looks to be a great farm dog...and he found him a new home! Can't get better than that. Sometimes God just brings two together so they can benefit one another throughout their lives. My best dogs were brought to me in just such a manner.