Looking ahead…

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Late Winter now, soon the weather will warm up and the thaw will dry. I’m already planning on the small hoof-trimming rodeo. With tethers and front-leg ties, I can get all of them on the ground to do their manicures. EXCEPT my big ram Twink 🤦🏽‍♀️ - he’s over 200-lbs. and even though he’s pretty much a gentleman, anything I do with him I REALLY need his cooperation. Tethering for supper feed-bucket is no problem - I sing his little stupid supper tune and grab his halter. His eyes brighten up like light-bulbs and he comes right along to his post where his bucket gets hung. Now I can lean over his shoulder, and he can hold me up - he’s bigger than me! But there’s no way I’m gonna be able to get him on the ground to do his feet. No way I can do them standing, either, if he refuses and dances around on his tether even though it’s kinda short - if his face is to the post, he can still swing his butt 180° around the post. I’m low-income, so I can’t afford those $1K squeezers that roll ‘em over to do feet.

So I’m looking for ideas! I’m sure he’s gonna be upset with anything drastic, and then I’m gonna hafta talk him into trusting me again. Any way to get his feet in my hands for awhile without changing his mind about me?

9EE88A2C-D417-4A4D-8B36-6ACA35EF719D.jpeg

This is the guy with the llama halter - because large goat halters were too small!

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Nubian buck is not a fan either, although like yours, no meanie. I use a collar, iet hims reasonably short. Push him up against fence, length of body. Then hook a lead line to the fence at belly level, just in front of rear legs. Pull it up from under him and up over his back, tie to fence. Now he has front and rear fairly well stabilized by and to fence, with fence as a wall. Do one side, unhook rear, move him with other side to fence, hook the rear again. 😊. Works for me. Hope it helps you. No one gets hurt and rarely much more than a little test to see they're tied in place....at least for mine.

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My Nubian buck is not a fan either, although like yours, no meanie. I use a collar, iet hims reasonably short. Push him up against fence, length of body. Then hook a lead line to the fence at belly level, just in front of rear legs. Pull it up from under him and up over his back, tie to fence. Now he has front and rear fairly well stabilized by and to fence, with fence as a wall. Do one side, unhook rear, move him with other side to fence, hook the rear again. 😊. Works for me. Hope it helps you. No one gets hurt and rarely much more than a little test to see they're tied in place....at least for mine.
That sounded good, and I’d thought of that, but my fence there is bouncy-wire. If it was board, and solid, that would work. I though of tethering to a tree, but I don’t have another growing close enough to do the hind-end tied to.

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nail a sturdy board between those 2 posts in the picture. Tie to it. Fixed.
I’ll look around to see if I can find a spare board around here. I may hafta get one. But that sounds good!

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you can find a cheep show stand, he will just hope up and you tie his face in. You cash easily pick up his hoof and Hanover them. The head holder is adjustable so you can hold your huge buck. The 250lbs pregnant boer goat fits on the stand.

Attachments

• AF5ECC77-0096-430E-BF42-B6227A374C15.jpeg
    AF5ECC77-0096-430E-BF42-B6227A374C15.jpeg
    538.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 96F6FE73-2255-408F-BA99-8FB9D07F0963.jpeg
    96F6FE73-2255-408F-BA99-8FB9D07F0963.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 54