Looking at cows to buy - newbies

BeanJeepin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We've wanted for quite some time a family dairy cow. Recently we've begun to get serious about this purchase and are looking at two cows that have come available.

The first one is local. Pics https://plus.google.com/photos/1142...96143054811016/albums/5733282703342014913here. We went and met her. She's unknown age (between 15-20 months) and from a local dairy farm (husband of the family used to work there) and came home as a pet. They don't really have a place to keep her, so want to sell. She was... frisky. Came when called, stood and ate out of hands, but when my husband got in to look her over she was interested in head butting him - sort of hard and often. Neither of us felt comfortable really having our hands all over her. We're told mostly jersey/some holstein mix. Not bred. I couldn't get a good look at her udder. Noticed her hooves looked sort of long and her nose had copious snot running out - but I really don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for (I've heard well attached and formed udder, but have no idea what that really means).

The other one we're driving a few hours (7, roundtrip actually) to meet this weekend. She was bottle raised from 6 weeks on as a family pet, follows them around, walks on lead well - so they say. Biggest issue is we have yet to see a full body picture of her and I am hesitant to make the trip without at least one. She's 15/16 months old (Christmas day '10) and not yet bred. They're finding they don't have as much time as they thought for her due to family obligations.

Anyone have a link to questions I should be asking, things I need pictures of, things I should be looking for specifically? I'm not real comfortable with the first cow's demeanor. We have 4 boys (human) and the oldest is 8.5 - not something I want a "frisky" thousand pound animal around. I know any animal that large can cause a lot of damage, calm all the time or not, but I'd like to reduce the risk. Ready to hear your thoughts. (We've had dairy goats for 2 years now, as "practice". We're not new to the milking thing, nor the animal keeping thing.)

Jean

(3 LaMancha does, 2 kids (one buck, one doe), 9 chickens of assorted types, 1 dog, 4 human children and a husband. Coming soon - ducks, geese and a cow, oh, and bees.)
"Do you live on a FARM? Nah, that's just our backyard."

mangus580

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3137.JPG

IMG_3138.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3143.JPG

IMG_3144.JPG

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3146.JPG

redtailgal

Reaction score
I would pass on the cow that was pushy. If she is that way on her home turf, it will get worse when she is stressed with a new place. Also, she had some pretty serious conformation problems. Normally, on a family cow, conformation is not a huge concern, but her legs are horrible. Esp the front legs, the bow in too much at the knee and her feet point outwards. This could cause some major problems and heartache later.

To be blunt, I wouldnt take a cow with that conformation AND a bad attitude, if someone gave her to me. She's definately not a good cow for a beginner or a seasoned cattleman.

You'll want to look for a cow that is calm, one that will not kick out or act aggressively when you touch her udder. Nervousness and sidestepping is OK, IF she is not used to having her udder handled. Let her see your kids, and let her see them being kids, but respectful kids.

You'll want decent legs on her. Straight, not knock kneed or bowed out and set under the cow....not at a strong angle. If the hooves look bad, dont buy her.

Eyes should be clear and bright. Ears should be up and attentive to her surroundings. Nose should be moist and without drainage (some times a cow will drip a clear "water" from there nose occasionally, this is not an issue)

Hair should be clean (healthy cattle keep themselves relatively clean), and somewhat shiny, depending on the color.

Ask for a shot record, health record or something on her.

If ever you have a doubt, come and ask here, we have lots of opinions! :D

BeanJeepin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the well thought out reply. I really appreciate the patience and willingness to educate!

I don't know much about what a cow "should" look like but I had serious reservations about the one photographed - especially the legs. Thank you for confirming that. And yes, I wouldn't have been comfortable trying to touch her udder in her own pasture, so that gave us pause as well. In fact I chose to not even get in with her after seeing her with my husband in there.

The one we're meeting Sunday we've only seen a head shot of, something that makes me nervous as well (especially since we've asked for pictures) but just from her description it's worth a look. We're not taking a trailer with us to meet her so we won't make any snap decisions.

Jean

redtailgal

Reaction score
I just noticed that her tail was docked and wanted to comment.

Please, everyone understand that I am stating my opinion, not passing judgement on anyone else's practices or beliefs, and I am in no way wanting this to be a debate.

I dont like to see dairy cattle with their tails docked. It's often done to prevent annoyance, such a getting slapped in the face with a poopy tail. Cows will do this, and many will do it INTENTIONALLY. And it is annoying to say the least.

However, they use their tails to combat bugs. I see dairy cattle around here, tail-less and COVERED in biting flies. I've helped treat sick cattle that had open wounds from these flies that they were not able to swish off because their tail had been docked.

If you end up purchasing a cow that has been docked, please be kind enough to help her combat those flies in the summer by using some sort of fly repellent.

oh and by the way, when I used to milk, and had one of those lovely cows that loved to slap my face with a wet slimy poo covered tail, I would take a piece of baling twine and loosely tie her tail to her leg. After a couple weeks of not being able to swat me, they all learned to quit trying.

Thats my way. Others may feel differently, but the way I see it, if two people agree on everything, then one of them is not necessary!

BeanJeepin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This cow was born on a dairy farm. We asked about the docked tail, they said it was done as a matter of course there. I mentioned after we'd met her the number of flies on her and asked my husband if that was normal. Ha, I remember now that he said to ask here.

We are for-sure passing on the one photographed here.