Looking at cows to buy - newbies

BeanJeepin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
mangus580 said:
WildRoseBeef said:
I dunno about what the others would think, but that sounds reasonable...doing some quick math it seems like the owner is asking for $1/lb, which is a little less than the going price for beef heifers about the same weight. So yeah, sounds reasonable for a dairy heifer.

See what the others think though. ;)
Thats exactly what they are working from.

I am considering offering a little less, just as she originally listed her as 'best offer'...

Also debating, they have a surge milker in the barn... debating asking to have that tossed in the deal as well... Not sure I want to mess with it for just one cow, and 2 goats though.
Well, and we're not really certain she's actually 700 lbs.

clarmayfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi, I will throw my two cents in, hope it is worth something. I am a long time dairy farmer, we milk Holsteins in Virginia.

I would be a bit nervous because this heifer sounds too cheap...is she possibly a freemartin (twin to a bull?), which can never become pregnant? If she was purchased at a livestock barn by the person who owns her now, I would be afraid of this...$1.00 / lb sounds cheap to me. It is very common for dairy farmers to sell heifer calves soon after birth that are twins because 95% of them will never breed.

She looks fairly nice, and her feet, while needing a trim, are fine. Lots of cows "toe out", is perfectly normal. She is a little thin, but this could be partly genetic. Some dairy cows and heifers are naturally thin, and they will keep that thin look ,especially when lactating. I agree, worming her is a good idea.

The horns need to go, and banding will not work. Horns are made of "fingernail" material, and banding them will do nothing. As large as they are, they will have to be cut with a large dehorner, def. by someone with experience, or a veterinarian. Horns that large will bleed after being cut and the vet will often cauterize them and clamp off the veins at the base to prevent too much bleeding.

I read your information about a mature cow being sold for a reason...that is true, but often the reason can be minor for a family cow. Most dairy farmers, especially a respectable family farm owner, would work with you to get a cow that works. A cow that may be low for a commercial producing herd (for example, 40 lbs day instead of 70), but would be perfect for a family. Sometimes, herds become crowded and the herd must sell some for dairy purposes. Cows may be sold because of low milk production, lameness, difficulty walking on concrete, reproduction, mastitis, etc. too.

I would recommend you check into her breed-ability...a veterinarian can likely check her for you. Or go with a bred heifer or a milking cow, this way you know they are fertile.

mangus580

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok, so on the freemartin topic...

I know its POSSIBLE, but whats the LIKELIHOOD, that a freemartin would show a consistent heat cycle?

Owner had stated how she had been cycling for a bit now, and she was quite obvious about it. He even mentioned he was pretty sure she was just coming off a cycle, which may be why she did take one opportunity to attempt havin her way with me! :lol:

mangus580

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So I did a bunch of research on the freemartin thing last night, and tossed & turned a bunch thinking it over. This morning, it hit me... Leonna CANT be a fremartin. Clearly stated in everything I read was that the freemartin problem only plagues cattle. Since its clear that Leonna is of canine persuasion, its IMPOSSIBLE for her to be a freemartin. I am more worried that she will have a large litter of puppies(calves)... like 4-5!! than I am of her being a freemartin.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Actually I heard back from her current owner....

The farm she came from was small they only breed the females to sell the calves. They were mostly into raising pigs. She was not a twin.
Also, I asked her what she uses to worm with... and she says they have never wormed her! So based on that, I am going to ask that she be wormed shortly before we pick her up.

Thanks again for all the help!

mangus580

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Bossroo, we understand your concern, but we did not say anything about using raw milk. This thread is about a particular cow. I would appreciate it if you would take your concerns to a more appropriate thread.

mangus580

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just put a deposit down on Leonna :)

managed to negotiate $600 ;)

Cant wait to bring her home in a couple weeks!!!

redtailgal

Reaction score
Yay! Good job on negotiating!

Cant wait to see pics......(hint hint) :thumbsup

Icp7147

Just born
Reaction score
I think you made a great purchase! A few thinks that I Want to add Just my two cents. I have been on dairy farms My whole life so I am no stranger to dairy cattle. She is normal in size for being a jersey cross if anything she is on the bigger side. As far a young cow vs old one? younger is better you will have her a lot longer and chances are that if you buy a aged cow she will not be around long before she will not breed back or has some other health issues. even under the best of care dairy cows seldom live past ten. I have known a lot that have but more often thatn not that is not the case. The horns need to go. I have had a nice old cow catch me with her horn just trying to swat a fly. also regardless of her size she will calve in just fine to a jersey or angus. and as far as her body condition goes she is a little then but that is fine in a dairy cow because if she was to fat she would be hard to breed. I hope at least some of this is helpful to you.