Looking for a CHEESE CURD recipe!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for Cheese Curds?

Now that the garden is done I'm ready to try making cheese. I love cheese curds but, the factory's is always so salty (we use salt very sparingly around here).

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
how in the world do you have time todo all that you do.ive never heard of cheese curds.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Never heard of cheese curds! What a SIN! They are chunks of cheese that when good and fresh squeek! :lol: Of course, maybe that is why you haven't heard of them--to far away from the Dairy State to get them fresh! :D And as with most any cheese best served at room temp!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
well i love cheese.i can eat 4 to 5lbs of cheese a week.but it has gotten way to high to eat that much cheese anymore.here cheese is like $9 for a 2lb block.

MissPrissy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
1 gallon milk
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt

Heat the milk to 190F.

Add the vinegar and allow cool to room temp.

When cool, pour into a colander and drain off the whey. Don't throw out the way. Use the colander over a big stock pot to collect the whey.

Pour the curds into a bowl and sprinkle on the salt and mix well.

If you add a little cream it will be more silky smooth.

Take the whey and soak old bread or cook some corn meal or grits or rice in it. Give it to the chickens. They will eat themselves into a stupor. If you have a pig you can it to them as well. Don't give it to ruminants - they will get the scours from it - not good.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Miss P!

I've been a dairy farmer for 20 years and worked for a dairy farmer for many years before that. The milk all went for cheese but, I really have little knowledge on the cheese making end. Sad, but true. That is about to change though, thanks to you and your good sounding recipes. I just hope I leave enough milk in the tank to pay the bills! :lol:

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
kitty id love to see you use 300 gal of milk in 2 days.:lol:
:lol: I agree but, you never know! The biggest problem would be using all that I made!

MissPrissy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When you make simple cheeses that do not require aging or drying you can get more than enough cheese each week from 2 - 4 gallons of milk and still be able to process them again for ricotta and then use the whey for bread baking or giving to the chickens and pigs as good nutrition!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm, shouldn't have trouble with the bills then. We do love cheese here though. I get the soft stuff figured out and I will have to try my hand at the hard cheeses. One step at a time.