Looking for a good book on kidding.

Bayle

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a book which is either focused on, or contains a good section on, kidding. Preferably with photos - what's normal, what's not, what to do, etc. There is some very good info on this site, I'm just a real book person. Plus, when that time comes, I'm thinking that no amount of previous research could replace the comfort that having a good book in my birthing kit would give me.
Also, a general book on animal birth would be a starting point, if anyone knows of any good ones.
Anybody have any suggestions??

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fias Co Farm recommends this book:
Goat Husbandry
by David MacKenzie, and if you go here, http://www.amazon.com/Goat-Husbandry-David-MacKenzie/dp/0571165958 the page can direct you to other general goat books... not sure if that is helpful, but it was sure fun reading the descriptions for the books.

Good luck with your search, and would you please let us know what book(s) you decided on? I know I'd appreciate your opinion.

Thanks, and a big howdy and welcome to BYH!

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You could try these two sheep books.... Managing Your Ewe and Lamb Problems. They are by the same author and for sheep, but they are incredibly useful!!

Bayle

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you SheepGirl, I will look for those!
animalmom, Goat Husbandry is a good book, I have it. I would recommend it, however the section on kidding is about 6-8 pages long. It does have one page of illustrations. It's a decent starting place, I'm just looking to expand my reference library with more info on kidding before I start breeding my girls. I will update this thread with anything else I find!
Thanks!!!

Latest posts