Looking for fleece to purchase

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would like to try my hand at making yarn. Why not, I got addicted to BYC and got chickens, really involved in chickens. Then I found TEG and got raised beds, pots, planters, seeds, compost bins, etc. Then I found BYH and milking goats. So I have Nigerian Dwarf goats for milking. So I saw Angora Bunnies, I had a bunny once, and it didn't work out. He was kind of wild, I was VERY young. So before I dive nose first, I would like to try a natural animal fleece. This could be sheep, alpaca, goat, and I would like some angora rabbit to mix in.

I have never carded or spun anything, ever, but I like to use my hands so I figure I could buy some fleeces and try it my self. Would one of you kind people please send me some fleeces. I'm not looking for A-1 first rate prime, grade A fleece. I'm looking for fleece right off the animal so I will know what I'm getting into.

If this adventure is going to be expensive, I might have to decline offers, so don't be offended. I have a friend who is lending me her aunt's carders, if I like it, I can purchase them later on.

Thanks, Melissa

ETA: Would consider buying someones already spun yarn, if you have a Etsy or ebay store, let me know.

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
FWIW: sheep's wool is the easiest to learn on. The finer the fibers the more difficult it is to work with. You can get or make a drop spindle inexpensively. Some people really have the knack for drop spindles and that's all they use. I started with that and got a wheel after getting the basics down with the spindle. New spinning wheels are pricey. Occasionally used ones come up but be sure they're in working order and know what you're looking at. Carders get to be expensive unless you find used ones, or refurbish an old pair with new pads. I found "roving" to be easier to work with the drop spindle rather than the carded fiber. Could be just me, dunno. If you buy roving you don't need the carders, although the fiber costs a bit more since it's already clean and ready to go. It's quite a process to clean and card your own wool. I do it now, but I wouldn't start out that way if I were you. Better to learn the craft first. ;)

youtube is great for free lessons. Here's just one to get you started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gXTWgMeMgI

Warning! Spinning can become highly addictive. :lol:

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'll have several Scottish Blackface fleeces for sale later this Spring. This wool is a longer, more coarse wool...easier for the beginner spinner.
3034_sheeppics_006.jpg

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
RustyDHart is sent you a PM and those are BEAUTIFUL sheep. Lovely long fibers. Thanks so much. :D