Looking for goat experts...

iamcuriositycat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a regular contributor to the Backyard Chickens forum (same user name there as here), and thought I'd join in over here as well. I'm also a professional writer and gradually building a portfolio in the rural living genre.

Right now, I'm working on a proposal to a magazine for an article about raising food in challenging terrain. I raise ducks and I know that when it comes to questions about raising them, the go-to expert is Dave Holderread. I'm wondering if the world of goats has someone (or someones) similar, and who they are. Perhaps the author of the "goat raising bible" or someone who is recognized as a leading expert for some other reason.

Can someone fill me in? I'd be very grateful!!

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I do have goats--just two little wethers. I adore them! They're like little puppy dogs, and I even take them for walks. If ya'll are anything like the folks on the duck board at backyard chickens, you'll want pictures. So, just for fun, this is Quincy enjoying the recent snow:

3063_dsc_0006_2.jpg

Thanks so much for any help!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Dr Frank Pinkerton is generally considered one of a few experts on goat raising and care. He is retired from Langston University and has several books published about goat care.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I second "Dr. Pink"...he's the be-all, end all...
I also like Dr. Dave Sparks, he's at OK state U.
If you want, pm me and I'll give you their email addresses...or look the addy's up in the current Goat Rancher magazine.

iamcuriositycat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you very much! Is Goat Rancher the go-to periodical for goats? My caprines are just pets, so I haven't taken the time to learn all the resources. Thanks so much--I will look up Dr. Pink and Dave Sparks. I appreciate the offer to share email addresses--I will probably take you up on that after I've done a little more research. I like to do my homework before contacting people, so I can sound somewhat knowledgeable. :) I really appreciate the help!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Goat Rancher is geared toward meat goats, but it is my 'go to' mag.
(I raise both meat and dairy.)

I read Dairy Goat Journal, too...and used to get United Caprine News...but I get more 'good' info (like Drs. Pinkerton and Sparks, both have actually raised goats, so aren't just quoting from books) from GR.

You can pick it up at TSC and their email addy's are right there in the mag. They are really good sources of info.