Looking for lice?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve just been informed, that rather than worms, my pigs probably have lice. Hmmm. Chris is going to kill m3 when I tell him this one now! So, on the goats! I was able to put them on my nice goat stand and look at them, calmly, and see the lice. With th3 chickens, I was able to go in at night, hold them upside down, and do an inspection. I have two pigs, that will let me check them out. The rest, it will be another rodeo, like with the darned shots...ugh!! Any advice, except run like crazy, grab tight? Will pig lice look pretty much the same as the other lice I saw on the goats? Lastly...what to use? I have the powder stuff that I used on the goats. Will that work on a pig...I know...probably not? And, the barn needs cleaned entirely and sprayed down, just the same? Now, one last thing...there is no way that a pig can give lice to a goat, right? I’ve read that lice don’t go from species to species. Please say this is true. I have my pot belly in with my two goats that were all raised together. They came from the same farm and are extremely bonded. The mommas have only been back with her for a couple days and are now going back into the barn with the kids...it was a weaning situation. But, could she have given them lice? When they had lice...they did not give it to her.

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
you probably have cyclense on hand for your goats right, try that. Otherwise I personally use permethrin spray and spray the pens and animals down a couple times a day for at least the ten day cycle of lice lifecycle. I have cyclense too but permethrin is a bit cheaper here and works on everything.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve just been informed, that rather than worms, my pigs probably have lice. Hmmm. Chris is going to kill m3 when I tell him this one now! So, on the goats! I was able to put them on my nice goat stand and look at them, calmly, and see the lice. With th3 chickens, I was able to go in at night, hold them upside down, and do an inspection. I have two pigs, that will let me check them out. The rest, it will be another rodeo, like with the darned shots...ugh!! Any advice, except run like crazy, grab tight? Will pig lice look pretty much the same as the other lice I saw on the goats? Lastly...what to use? I have the powder stuff that I used on the goats. Will that work on a pig...I know...probably not? And, the barn needs cleaned entirely and sprayed down, just the same? Now, one last thing...there is no way that a pig can give lice to a goat, right? I’ve read that lice don’t go from species to species. Please say this is true. I have my pot belly in with my two goats that were all raised together. They came from the same farm and are extremely bonded. The mommas have only been back with her for a couple days and are now going back into the barn with the kids...it was a weaning situation. But, could she have given them lice? When they had lice...they did not give it to her.
Pig lice can be found in all parts of the body, but particularly in the skin folds around the neck, jowl, flanks and inside the legs-where, it's slightly warmer and covered. Lice will also appear to build nests within the head.
Treat the entire breeding herd in one operation. Using ivermectins, diazinon, lindane, and deltamethrin.

Latest posts