Looking for Llamas in Michigan

Jake

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am looking for several crias in MI, a couple males and one female, one male to geld and begin training for packing, and the other two to grow out for eventual breeding but they will be started in packing too, so a year or so with all for training and hiking with them.

I have been looking for Ccaras but not much luck so far, the breeders I have seen are out in the NW or Mtn States.I amnot interested in fancy wool stock, just upstanding classics .

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Males shouldn't be gelded before the age of 18 months old. Especially in llamas. Their bones grow long and skinny and will easily break if gelded too young. You wouldn't want to keep intact males older than 6 months in with a female. They will breed her and you also don't want her getting pregnant too young. You really want her to be around 2 years old before breeding. I would suggest either getting males or females or get a couple of both so they can be kept separate.

Jake

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks, thats my intentions, I will have plenty of time to compare the two males to pick the best to keep as a male, I dont want any mating until they are well grown out, if, I find a good older female then for sure I will go with her/them, but want the two young males to raise up together and get started training.

I had several older llamas years ago, they had picked up a few bad habits, in the circus world and other places that they had been, both gelded long before I got them. But they were still pretty good guys. I want to get a couple male crias just to get them started and trained early in how I want them to be.

I will be keeping females separate from intact males, have room for several paddocks for them.

I am surrounded by forest, and just a mile from both state and federal forest. Probably the most ideal place for me to do the things I would like to do with Llamas. 3-4 for packing, and a female or two to also raise occasional youngsters for the fun of it. Fun with Llamas is the name of the game.

Jake

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have always been intrigued by Llamas for packing, and this seems like a fun area to do it, I will probably be looking for a 2 horse trailer in a year or so but can reach quite a lot of trails from here. My place here is small as Llama fars go but can have a couple paddocks sharing a shed, and plenty of close trails for training on. I think about five would be what I could do well with here.

A couple females for breeding and packing, a stud and one or two trained geldings to also train young ones with.