Looking for training for Pyrenees

watchdogps

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yeah, the lamb could have been any number of reasons. Even adult LGDs need to be supervised during births, at least at first. All that action, new smells, etc can be very confusing and exciting for a dog. Please remember she is a BABY, she cannot be trusted to make intelligent desicions. You wouldnt leave your 5 yr old child in charge of your animals, would you? I'm not trying to chastise, just trying to put it in perspective. it's very hard to remember these big dogs are still babies.

Cabinchick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
cheraboo said:
watchdogps said:
A dog park would be great! Lots of play, off premises so no confusion.
She COULD have chewed the lamb head off. Not all deaths are attacks. Did you see the lamb born? If she was around for the birth, the scents of the birth fluids and stuff can confuse dogs at first, or the lamb could have been born dead. Some LGDs will "clean up" dead animals, which isnt entirely unacceptable, distasteful as we find it. In the open fields of their homelands, dead animals would have attracted predators.
You probably wont find a trainer that has experience in the LGD area. There are some very good online forums and resources as carolinagirl mentioned.
We didn't see the lamb born. I wish we'd have been there.

I think we'll take a trip to the dog park today :)
Regarding the dog park: I took my St Bernard to the dog park when he was just a little guy. He wanted to romp and play with ALL the dogs including the little ones. The small dog owners did not appreciate this and let me know right away that until he was fully trained he was not welcome. I was so mad :somad but bigger pups can hurt some of those ridiculous tea cup breeds just by accidently stepping on them. That was just my experience, I'm sure not all dog parks are like that.

watchdogps

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
many dog parks have separate small dog areas, and IME most small dog owners do understand their dogs are at risk. Now, if the big dog is grabbing them, and not just being a clutz, that is different.

angelwin

Just born
Reaction score
I have had two Great Pyranees. I love them. My first one lived with the Nygerians and kept them together and we had no losses to predators. I did have to take my close-due girls out of that pature and confine them to kid - I did this because I was afraid the dog might try to 'herd' them before they were able. This worked well. Now I am in the process of training a new puppy the same way. One I get him to come when called and obey simple commands i will put him in with the goats. He is 4 months old now and not training as easily as the first dog - but he is just as lovable. He is better with the birds also, seemingly not interested. I have taken him on my feeding rounds ever since we got him at 10 weeks. We found, though, that the first dog patrolled his territory and went off the property when the edge went that way (out of the pasture) This new puppy does not have that trait. The deepness of their bark as adults lets fox, raccoons, cayote and what ever know their is a BIG dog on duty so watch out! I love the breed - keep working with him!:)