Looking into highlands, advice on starting a herd.

NBraun

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I generally don't like to start my first post asking a question, but I figured this would be the best way to answer my questions! A little preface about myself. Growing up we would always visit the grandparents farm, ever since than it's been a dream of mine to have a place out in the country and have some animals. Well, my wife and I found small acreage that pretty much fit the bill and were lucky enough to fulfill that dream this last summer, and though were still young, (25), we have big dreams/plans for it! It's only 5 acres, but beggars cant choosers! We have started out with a small flock of guineas, and plan to add a couple of Nigerian goats come springtime. My wife has an animal science degree, and I work in plant science research at the local college. She and I were both on the volunteer surgery team with the local humane society. Since high school I've been helping a friends dad with his cattle, which are red angus. They're actually our neighbors, and we have a good relationship with them. All this to say, that I feel comfortable around livestock, and have a fairly good understanding with how things work.

Howerer, I still have some specific questions regarding what I need to be thinking about starting a herd.

I'm aware that cattle are not a quick way to get rich, but my hope is to grow a small herd, 10-15, and make some money on the side. I'm looking into highlands because they seem a little less maintenance compared to other more common breeds, they taste good, and they're just plain unique. I love how furry they are!

So if i'm starting from zero, what's the best way to start and grow? I figured i'd start by buying two bred cows and then AI until it's worth having a bull around.

I've looked online, but in your experience, what's an average price for a bred cow?

Is it better to feed out a steer and butcher, or sell as a calf?

As I mentioned, we only have 5 acres, with only 2 of it being pasture. It's almost guaranteed we'll have to find some pasture to rent. Until then, we'd have to supplement with hay, is this possible to still be profitable? Hay around us varies from 80-120/ton this year

I guess i'm just looking for some general cattle and general highland advice. I've tried to do the math, but I end up getting lost, as there are a few variables, but it seems it would probably 4-5 years before I hit the break even point.

Thoughts and advice?
Thanks!

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Am not on here much, but I raise Highlands in Virginia. Check out the American Highland Cattle website. Lots of good information there.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't help you with Highlands as far as to prices or availability in the Dakotas. We have a commercial cow calf operation in Va . I don't know alot about highlands except what a friend who had them in Conn. has told me. They loved them. They are very hardy, and can take to cold and miserable rainy, snowy weather they had up there. She said they didn't have many issues. They calved easily for them, and were good foragers. They liked the meat too.

Since @GLENMAR has highlands so any advice he gives you is good. Unless you can get some pasture you will not break even with feeding alot of hay. You will have to feed hay there anyway due to your climate/temps.
Tell us what your climate is like.

By the way.....

:welcome
Great that you have some cattle experience.... that is a big help. Good for you having the gumption and foresight to buy a place and start on your dream early.

NBraun

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

South Dakota is not a warm place for 5 months out of the year. Strings of constant below zero weather for weeks on end sometimes.

I've had a conversation with some others on this, and it seems like the only way to make this work, is to be raising them for show calves. This is something that's totally new to me, so I've been trying to do a bunch of research on showing, as well as acquiring registered quality cows. Luckily a coworker has a lot of experience selling club calves, however they raise angus and shorthorns.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have highland crosses. And am a big fan. With 2 acres at your place you can only pasture about 2. You will need 1-1.5 acres of pasture per head. Calves count as 1. Here’s a link with some info for you.
The headquarters is near me and I bought my cattle from the head of the organization.
87D5A037-4E45-4EC8-9973-B9B5D8AA8956.jpeg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have them because you like them, have them for beef, for yourself and for maybe a neighbor or two.... don't have them to make money. Club calves is big business/ big money and big losses of money, but highlands will never compete in that.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
How awesome that you are starting your dream! 5 acres may be small, but it is a heap bigger than a city lot! We have 8 acres, chickens, hair sheep and horses. We retired to live our dream! Really excited for you, it can only get better from here.

NBraun

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Have them because you like them, have them for beef, for yourself and for maybe a neighbor or two.... don't have them to make money. Club calves is big business/ big money and big losses of money, but highlands will never compete in that.

Unfortunately you're right. Had another conversation today and the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. Though it has me looking more into doing something similar with goats, as they can be sustained on less acres, there's less of an investment and (hopefully) and quicker return. We'll start with the two this spring though and see if we like having the livestock. Then maybe even add in a highland next year, if I can talk the wife into a pet cow.

How awesome that you are starting your dream! 5 acres may be small, but it is a heap bigger than a city lot! We have 8 acres, chickens, hair sheep and horses. We retired to live our dream! Really excited for you, it can only get better from here.

Moving in we thought 5 acres was huge! How quickly things change!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I chose small livestock, specifically sheep, because 8 acres just isn't big enough for a herd of cattle. I've had cattle, I like cows, but no longer .want to wrangle cows. I don't want a bull that is going to run the grandkids down.

Even a ram can be dangerous. We drove to Tennessee and back for a ram because he is a gentle sweetheart. My grand daughters can pet and love him and he eats it up. Plus he is a registered Katahdin, out of a parasite program, bred by Virginia Tech University, so that makes him even more special.

I think goats would be a good place for you and your wife to start. Start small and don't get overwhelmed. I am guessing that both of you work, so make the animals fit your time that you have. Then decide if you want meat or dairy goats. Goat people can tell you more than I can about your options.

Latest posts