Bird_Lover_17

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi. I am looking into horses. I have a thread like this on BYC. Other than spending months learning hands-on with horses, I'm wondering what you peeps on BYH have as advice.

Thanks! :celebrate

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have land to keep your horse or will you be boarding? Do you have pasture, shelter? What breeds are you considering? Western or English? Show or just enjoyment?

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have time to offer some volunteer help at a stable you can trade stall cleaning for lessons. Hang around when the vet and farriers visit and observe.
That will help get some very basic practical knowledge before you take the leap. Horses are money pits and take a considerable amount of time. Have fun on your journey!

Bird_Lover_17

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you have land to keep your horse or will you be boarding? Do you have pasture, shelter? What breeds are you considering? Western or English? Show or just enjoyment?
I do have land to keep the horse, but I haven't build a barn yet: I do have some pasture cleared out. I was considering quarter horses or American paint horses. Western. Mostly for enjoyment/trail riding but possibly show. :)

Bird_Lover_17

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If you have time to offer some volunteer help at a stable you can trade stall cleaning for lessons. Hang around when the vet and farriers visit and observe.
That will help get some very basic practical knowledge before you take the leap. Horses are money pits and take a considerable amount of time. Have fun on your journey!
Thanks! :)