Looking to rescue/ buy heard. HELP!!

MysticMtn

Just born
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking into buying a heard and came across a farm that is trying to liquidate. I have worked with alpacas before, but have a few questions. I have not been involved with the paper work end of pedigree stuff, so please link me to a "for dummies" on that sort of thing.

The lady claims all the animals are pedigree, how do I verify?

They missed a year of shearing, I am worried it is too late in the season to sheer them now. If I buy them they will have to have coats to deal with the snow. Is this a deal breaker? I was always under the impression you MUST sheer every spring..... What would you do here?

They have all the males mixed with the females, this means probable pregnant alpacas? Is it possible to get the pedigree paper work if you aren't exactly sure which is the stud?

What do you think the vet bill would look like to have 24 alpaca's gone over and have their teeth done?

What else should I look for to see if the animals are healthy?

Does this sound like a total money disaster? Alpaca's are selling for $200 to $4oo each over here, and this would be significantly less then that. I just want to be sure that the animals are healthy and can be taken care of. I want to be sure they can be caught up to be where they need to be.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you cannot prove "Who's your Daddy?" then no you cannot register the offspring. As far as proof of pedigree, there are registration papers for each animal. If she cannot produce a registration certificate for each adult, then they are not registered.

More than likely, at least some of the studs should be gelded. Call the vet to ask how much for gelding as well as doing the teeth.

I do not have alpacas, hopefully someone with experience will answer you.

Welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you here!

$200 to $400? Ha! I remember alpacas selling for $20,000 each!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with Bay.

First -- where is "over here"? Obviously you say "deal with snow", so you have that coming....:)

Now, IF the parents are DNAd you can DNA any offspring to prove parentage. The issues with this may be more expensive than you will pay for the animal. Find out the registry and contact them for what they require &/or info they can provide.

Almost all registries charge at least double for paperwork to non-members. Not familiar with alpacas but, a lot of info can be gotten from the registries of most animals -- even care & common issues with the breed. Some buy outs can be good & others not. At least you are asking good questions.

As to shearing and regrowth -- some of that depends on where you are and conditions they will have for housing, grazing, etc. Obviously their health, immune, body condition and the nutrition they are given will impact all of this.

I would consider hiring a vet, familiar with alpacas!!!, to go to the farm and assess the condition and health of each animal. It may be some of the best $$$ you can spend.

MysticMtn

Just born
Reaction score
@Baymule a big part of the reason I was interested in this heard was because I was used to Alpaca prices starting around $5k and going up. IDK why but the price is very low at several of the farms I have investigated. Apparently a lot of the farmers are trying to get out of the business and liquidate their herds. I am in WA state. Going to take an initial inspection of the animals here in a little bit.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alpacs here in Va are in the 500 range for adults. They are definitely cheaper than when the craze started. And I don't see them getting any higher priced. They are not good as guard animals like llamas are so don't even have that to recommend them. If you are big into spinning and wool then they might be a good investment, but there is little market for them. If you are looking at colder temps then I would not shear them now. Too late for them to regrow a decent coat. Next years shearing will be less than ideal wool, but if they are clean animals, might not be too bad. I am not an expert on wool and it's preferred qualities for spinning etc..
I agree with @Mini Horses if you are that interested then i would get a vet to look at them too and help you see all sides to their health and well-being, and advise you.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The alpaca craze is over. A few breeders imported them, hung the price on the moon, and convinced people that they were a good investment. Now everybody that bit that fish hook has some. If you think you are going to buy $200 alpacas and sell them or their offspring for $5000, you had better stop in your tracks. Not being unkind here, just letting you know that the boom market for alpacas went bust.

Kinda like the emu craze. People paid $20,000 for a breeding pair! The sales pitch was that emus were valuable for their feathers, meat and oil. People spent thousands on emus. When that craze went bust, people were stuck with huge, dangerous birds that could rip your belly open with a forward kick. They ate a LOT and pooped giant poop piles. Many people just turned them loose.

If you want them, knowing that $500 might be the top price you get, then by all means buy them. If you want to show them, sell the wool or spin the wool, then buy them.

MysticMtn

Just born
Reaction score
I am interested in them for the fiber. We want to process it and make products from it to sell. They seemed healthy and cared for. The sale is tentatively pending the approval of my vet. I always have a new animal gone over before I sign a sales contract. The terms are favorable and I think we are both doing each other a favor if the vet approves. I have always wanted a heard of alpacas but the price used to be insane! I am so happy the novelty is gone, these are great animals.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Then this sounds like the deal of the century for you and I hope it all goes well. They are beautiful animals.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you are going about this in a sensible and informed way so I say it ought to be a good deal for you. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
And please stay active here on BYH, we love to have people who are passionate about their animals. You have waited a long time for prices to come down, that right there tells me that you are finally fulfilling a desire that you have harbored for a long, long time.

Latest posts