Looks like its time! PICS

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have been watching my Nigerian doe Scarlette closely for the last couple days and noticed a bit of swelling in her girls bits and just went out and checked her and we have lots of goo. We have moved her into a kennel surround by straw bales in a deep clean straw and under a heat lamp. I am hoping it is warm enough...we have no wind and it is around freezing this evening. She's an experienced mom (she's 5 years old) and I can check her through my window. I would rather not have her inside as I think it would be stressful to her but really don't want her babies to freeze. If they are in dry bedding and under the heat lamp will they be okay at these temps?

Can't wait to see her little ones!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope all goes well!!!! How exciting :) I have sheep, and that would be more than fine for lambs, but I do put them in a shelter, but no heat lamp. Not sure how tiny your baby goats will be, so I'm no help.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:weee :weee :weee
Woo HOO! Baby goats on the way!!
They should be fine. If you do have a heatlamp then they can get to it if needed but it probably isn't necessary.
I know what you mean though.. little 2-4 lb kids and you just are thinking "but it is cold out and they're just lil babies".
...and woodsie... we will need pics right away, not next week, Just sayin! ;)

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As long as she is out of the wind and wet, they will be fine. Goats are pretty resilient. Bringing her inside would be worse, she is accustomed to being outside, the big change will be a shock to her system.

Make sure that heat lamp is secured by at least two separate lines.

Can't wait for baby pics!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hoping it all went well...with no update, I become a worry wart...no, I don't have goats...yes...I care more than I should, but I do...update Woodsie?

Latest posts