loose rabbit

luvmycritters42

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
There was a domestic rabbit in our yard last night.... I was unable to catch it and I haven't seen it yet today. I'm curious how far a rabbit will wander when it gets loose? I'll put out a live trap if it might still be hanging around. We have 3 wooded acres, as do all our neighbors.

Ashmeade

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Unfortunately domestic rabbits do not typically last long in the wild. Especially if they are not marked like wild rabbits. Too easy for predators to get, etc.

Maybe it got loose from a neighbor??? Hope that was the case Vs someone dumping it.

luvmycritters42

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, I'm assuming it got loose from one of the neighbors..... but seems like it came a long ways to end up in our yard though. I thought they would stay pretty close to "home" when they got loose. And no, it won't last long if it stays loose around here.....owls and coyotes aplenty.

RabbitMage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
luvmycritters42 said:
Yes, I'm assuming it got loose from one of the neighbors..... but seems like it came a long ways to end up in our yard though. I thought they would stay pretty close to "home" when they got loose.
This is another reason rabbits aren't a good choice for free ranging. Some of them do figure out where home is and come in every night, but not all of them.