Loquat Tree

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
@fustratedearthmother If it grows in your planting zone, check out some of the clumping bamboo's, they grow fast, and make great brouse for goats. I ran a fence four foot out from my back line fence and planted four of them, they will grow to 15 ' tall and clump new growth in about a 10 ' area each... So what comes through the front fence will be a extra source of fast growing feed for the goats, and what they can't get to becomes a wall of privacy for us....plus as they get more mature I can use the bamboo to make things.
Just don't do any "running" bamboo...you can't contain it to one area and it will take over everywhere....
Just thought I would mention it as a possable option for you to consider.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Funny that you should mention that - I've been investigating it and will probably make the leap. I'd like to do what you suggest and let it be a possible browse source for the goats and have it for projects also. DH has wanted it for years and I always said no - until I discovered the clumping kind. Might be a spring project. Thanks for the recommendation!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Funny that you should mention that - I've been investigating it and will probably make the leap. I'd like to do what you suggest and let it be a possible browse source for the goats and have it for projects also. DH has wanted it for years and I always said no - until I discovered the clumping kind. Might be a spring project. Thanks for the recommendation!

The key to getting it to root fast is to water it daily for the first season until it takes a good root.....mine is about 6' high now and just started to spread, it hasn't made it to the goats reach yet ( which is fine with me ) but it sure is looking healthy and growing faster now . I really am excited to watch it get full and tall, then I can cut some and do some projects that I have in mind .

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s after the freeze, the flower buds look the same to me. What day you @CntryBoy777 and @B&B Happy goats ?? Opinions?

FEF7CF67-1630-4CBF-8B6B-4E181113D82B.jpeg

3C782E54-6BFE-4A2C-B513-49AF388EC6D4.jpeg

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't count them out....the blooms not being open just might have been enough to insulate most of them....probably would've been worse for them to have opened and the tender parts being exposed to the temps....ours are open here....most of ours are under the giant oaks, so a direct frost is difficult to affect them....but, we've been in the low 50s and may get to low 40s in a few days....Joyce is starting to pay attention to her plants that are temp "sensitive".....we have blooms on the bell peppers....waiting to see if the temps set it back any..... :)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya never know Bay....may or may not, but ya will or not know if ya don't try!....it's like "life", it is always a "crap shoot"....ya win some, but not all..... :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It aint like I'm gonna wrap a chain around it and yank it up with Marigold. The Loquat tree has alllllllll winter and spring to show me that it deserves to stay here by setting fruit and making it live through the winter.