Losing hair around eyes???

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My calf is 3 1/2 wks. old and I noticed that he has lost most of the hair around his eyes. I was wondering if any of you know the cause of this. I will try to get out there and take a pic. of it, so that may help.

He is healthy appearing in every way, but just has lost the hair around his eyes.

Thanks,
Dorothy

edited to add pics.

166_barbq_hair_loss_eye_2.jpg

166_barbq_hair_loss_eye_4.jpg

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
he could have a case of lice.but ive never seen it around the eyes.they usually get lice on their necks.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Does he often rub his face against the fence, like he is doing in the first picture? Or anywhere else?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
Does he often rub his face against the fence, like he is doing in the first picture? Or anywhere else?
That would be my guess too!

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I hadn't thought about him rubbing on the fence. I have noticed him rubbing/scratching his snout/nose on the fence before. It just has me puzzled as to why it is just around his eyes and nowhere else. Maybe because they stick out....lol I have looked him over and all that I see in other spots are mud/dirt. We had alot of rain here Monday and everything in so muddy.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Looks to me like ringworm. Ringworm is NOT a worm, it's a fungus. Ours often get it in the winter, when the sunshine is short, and the sun's power is low. Otherwise the UV rays from the sun seems to kill the fungus. It's not very harmful, and often affects areas around the face/eyes. It is contagious, and can affect humans. Google it, and you will likely find many cures.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A good anti-fungus med will work on ringworm but, I don't think it is ringworm. I think it's just a case of rubbing on the fence.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay, it's been brought up so I went looking for pics and info one ringworm.
Here are some pics of ringworm. The first is on a heifer. Notice the crustiness. Even if the animal were rubbing the crustiness off there would be a sore there, not just bare skin and that is why I don't think you have a case of ringworm.
ringworm-on-heifer11111.jpg

Ringworm is very contagious and can affect humans as jhm47 said so, here is a pic of human ringworm.
ringworm-human11111.jpg

Here's a site with some good info on ringworm: http://www.thecattlesite.com/diseaseinfo/233/ringworm-in-cattle

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Believe me, it's ringworm in it's early stages. I've seen it for many years in my own cattle. It will go away when the sun gets more power.

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I do not think that it is ringworm either, but I am keeping a close eye on him. My sister's cows have had ringworm before, but it looked more like the pics. that Farmer Kitty put on here.

Like I said, I will keep wathcing it and see if it progresses. I sure hope that it doesn't. I know that ringworm is contagious. I make sure that I wash my hands every time that I come back inside, no matter whether I have come into contact with my calf, chickens or ducks. I do not want ringworm...lol

Latest posts