Lost 2 Gained 1...Now with the pictures added

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So yesterday one of my best does kidded. She had waited almost 2 weeks beyond when I thought she was due. She had twins, 2 boys, 1 not fully delevloped,dead, and the other wrapped in the remains of his brother, he died too shortly after he hit the ground....... Hey it happens Nothing you can do about it...... BUT now I'm left with a very good doe always very milk heavy with no kid/kids and I'm not the "go out to the barn and milk the goat" kind of a person...That would be the lost 2 part.....WHAT to do?
I called Kim at Roll Farms. She had this beautiful fullblood black headed doeling that was just born. I talked her into selling her to me. So yesterday at 3 in the afternoon in the middle of a snow storm I jumped in my truck and headed towards the Roll's. Long and short I stole, I mean bought, the doeling and made it home. Hence the gained 1 part....But now the tough part.
.....Now to sucessfully graft her onto my very fresh, very heavy, and very very calm doe...Because I'm not the " feed the cute little goat from a bottle" kind of person either....Fortunately Kim sent me home with a gallon of frozen goat milk and 2 bottles of milk ready to be fed because this little doeling thinks she is a human and doesn't seem to like the idea of nursing from a farm animal....This will change....The doe is completely fine with the situation...She stood still in the middle of the pen and chewed her cud while the kid and I wrestled around in the straw. I ended up feeding the kid from a bottle while she stood next to the doe. The doe smelled the kid and even licked her tail, all the while I, with my third hand, stripped milk from her....1 step at a time....I will post a picture after the bottles stop....I wouldn't hold your breath.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
key to grafting a kid onto a doe

get HER milk thru its system

the doe must smell the kids poop as her own milk....that is the most normal smell she is searching for. they sniff the butts of the kids for their own milk scent to "know who is their kid and who isn't"

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I talked her into selling her to me.
I thought *I* talked YOU into it..... ;)

I really hope you can make it work, and wish I could offer more valuable advice but...I really do think once you've got the doe's udder heavy and let the little one get good and hungry.....she'll figure it out.

*crossing fingers*

Goat of Many Colors

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I got my little doeling back to her Mama who rejected her. I still think she does not have enough milk for two so I am watching carefully. I milked a little into my hand and rubbed it in the baby's face (didn't know to do the rear) She is letting her nurse but doesn't dote on her like she does the buckling.

Too bad you don't want to milk... Goat milk is great! Especially the yogurt and fresh buttermilk I have made from the milk. I can't wait to have enough to try my hand at cheese!

I'm sorry you lost the babies.

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok so after 1 whole day of wrestling with the Demon seed Kid, her new nickname, she FINALLY has realized that she is a goat...
For the last almost 2 days I have given her the chance to nurse from her new mother...But she had it in her mind that she would rather just drink from the bottle...I would wrestle with her trying to make her drink, all the while the doe watched us roll in the straw...I'm sure she now thinks I'm crazy...But No Luck the kid was winning the fight. She refused to nurse she refused to even let the doe come near her. I had been milking the doe out and mixing her milk with the milk Kim had given me, I was really the middle man, I would milk the doe put the milk into a bottle and feed it to the kid....She would rather follow me around the barn....That is until today....We did the barn dance this morning again and she won, as usual...But when her "afternoon bottle" was due she didn't get it...Now she is mad as well as hungry...Enter the doe, who now is in full milk literally dripping with milk even after the morning milk out, unphased as always just standing in the middle of the stall....anyway I grab the kid, fold her front legs, jam her under the doe and tell her "eat or you are going to be very hungry by morning"....She hears that I mean what I have said and begins to nurse, like its not really a big thing...I stand up, she continues to nurse. She pulls off but relocates the teat and proceeds...She SWITCHES to the opposite teat and nurses both sides for maybe 5 minutes by herself....I think I win...
So here is the picture...it is horrrible because it was taken with my phone with the lights down so as not to disturb them But it is all you need to see...You will have to take my word because it could really be any doe and kid BUT IT REALLY IS HER....I will keep my eye on her and make sure she is nursing but I think the game is over....NO MORE MILKING for me....Now I have to erase the name on her registration application....RF s DemonSeed, no longer seems appropriate...

0110001409.jpg

better pictures to follow...I hope...

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
*applause*

And after that very....picturesque description you gave...wish I coulda been there to see the 'wrestling mach'...at 10# I'm sure she gave you one heck of a fight...:p

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
did you notice the unrestrained doe? she is priceless....I guess the real trick to a successful grafting is an understanding doe, preferrably fresh...and yes the wrestling match was, I'm sure, worth the admission price....any new ideas for a name maybe slightly less evil than we had previously talked about?