Lost a kit earlier tonight

Farmlady

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This is the second time this has happend. Two different does, different cages, but I'm wondering now how common this is. I had a litter of 6 (older doe but she's a great mama) NZ kits, 6 weeks old tomorrow, and found the biggest one dead. No bleeding, no wounds, but her neck was snapped clean. She was still warm when I found her.

I had the same thing happen 3 months ago. Different doe, different cage, but a 5 week old kit with a broken neck. Is this common? Can they play or hop around enough to actually cause a lethal injury when they are in a safe and secure cage?

I know nothing is getting close enough to spook them since the geese, guineas, and ducks are all around my bun barn. It's open ~ I put together two 10 x 10 six foot high dog kennels, added a tin roof, and it has tarps I can drop down if it gets really cold or prop out for shade when it's hot. The gate latch is secure and locked at night. The cages are hung and clipped at the bottom back corners to prevent any sway. Around the outside is a large, about 60 x 80 fenced area with a pond and several shelters where the birds hang out. Nothing gets past them, and they make enough racket to wake the neighbors a half mile down the road. Occasionally I let the buns out to play and the birds mostly ignore them except for one Indian Runner drake. He and several of my boys actually play together.

I didn't open either kit up to check further, but there was no obvious sign of illness, wounds, etc. It's as though they flipped themselves hard enough to break their own necks. If this is what happened, is there some way to prevent it, or at least try to prevent it? Or, am I missing something as far as illness/symptoms? This one is bugging me since this was a doe that showed a lot of promise as far as retaining her for future breedings. Any input would be helpful. Since they've been eating pellets and drinking well, I went ahead and moved the rest of the litter to a grow out pen ... not sure what else to do or keep an eye out for.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rabbits can charge into the corners of a cage hard enough to break their own necks. I can remember finding one rabbit that apparently killed itself diving into a nest box. At least I think I know what inspired that particular act of panic - a snake that got into another cage nearby. As to what spooks a rabbit - it's almost more like, what doesn't spook them? :he

A snake of any size, even a little 14" glass lizard, creates pandemonium among my rabbits; even those that can't see it from their cages. The other rabbits are going nuts, so that's enough to upset the lot. A flapping tarp, a door opening unexpectedly, a person passing near the barn, a small bird flying up onto a cage; the list seems endless.

Sorry about your losses. I don't know why it always seems to be the ones that you want to keep that come to grief! :barnie