Lost our Beautiful Jaeger!!!

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:hit:hit:hit
Our sweet, beautiful buck, Jaeger died suddenly this evening. We went to close them up for the night, and he started bleating loudly and fell down, stiff-legged. I'm pretty sure it was "goat polio", i.e., thiamine deficiency, but dummy that I am, we had no thiamine on hand. I rushed to Tractor supply, 30 mins round trip (Okay, I may have sped a little!) and he was gone before we got back. I know it can take them quickly, but WOW! We do have loose minerals for them, but they never seem to eat them, just spill them on the ground.

We are all devastated. At least we have babies due in 3 or 4 weeks. I guess it's a good time to start looking for an unrelated buckling, but money is still gonna be super tight until May or so, when we finish-up the sale of our other house.

I'm gonna see how much it will cost for a necropsy. If we can afford one, it might not be a bad idea.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so so so so so sorry :hit :hit :hit

I know how much you loved that boy!

Was he normal this morning? That does seem a little fast for polio.
Was he by any chance UTD on his CDT vaccine? Has/was he bloated lately?

Keep his body cool, if you have a cooler put him in that.
Our lab charges around $40 and they are very thorough. I don't know what your lab charges, but please do everything you can to have a necrospy done.

Unfortunately TSC wont have straight thiamine on their shelves either. :(
Watch your other goats; it might be a good idea to be monitoring their temps.

I am terribly sorry you have to go through this :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
How Terrible! It is better to have an answer, so you are "Aware" what you are up against before the kidding season starts too. So Sorry!!....:(:hugs

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. :hugs

I don't know what your buck's exact symptoms were, but I have read goat polio and listeriosis symptoms look very similar, but listeriosis is more common in adult animals and polio is more common in kids. :hu

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry Sadie :hugs Hope the others are OK and that the kids come through with no issues.