Lost our new milk goat and our buck

Bre rivera

Just born
Reaction score
We purchased a milk goat two days ago and she stayed glued to our hip no need to tie or fence her up and our buck would follow her everywhere. This was my first time leaving our property since I got her and I fear she went looking for me and wondered off while our buck followed. I’m deeply saddened by this all. I’m new to goats so I’m wondering what the likely hood of them coming back is

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
How long has she been missing? How long were you gone?

If you are looking and calling, they may be around...it's hard to say with not knowing your situation, surroundings, etc. Guess you know now, they need containment. Hope you find them.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's why you fence them.
There is plenty to eat in the woods right now. They are probably within a square mile or so.
We hosted linear appraisal once, and one of the people who attended, let their Alpine doe get loose. She stayed on the run for about a week before we eventually got her.
They will look for shelter.
Good luck

Kristie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We purchased a milk goat two days ago and she stayed glued to our hip no need to tie or fence her up and our buck would follow her everywhere. This was my first time leaving our property since I got her and I fear she went looking for me and wondered off while our buck followed. I’m deeply saddened by this all. I’m new to goats so I’m wondering what the likely hood of them coming back is
Not sure what breed you have, but I've enticed loose goats with the sound of a bag of chips (and then some chips once I caught them). I know leaving clothing with your scent on it works for dogs and cats, might work for your goats, too! Mine always sniff me!

Good luck!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
First, you needed to keep them in a fenced area. Never have any livestock in an open area without fencing.

Second, do any of your neighbors have goats? If so, they may have tried to join that herd.

Third, where are you located and what is the predator load? Do dogs roam loose? Neighborhood dogs can be just as effective at killing as coyotes, and cougar.

Fourth, if you are located near travelled roads someone may have picked them up. Sometimes people will steal goats for meat or other purposes. Sometimes they will keep them and advertise in the Lost and Found. Sometimes they will call Animal Control. Check ads and Animal Control to see if they have been found or turned in.

Fifth, goats are among several species that revert to feral very quickly. At which point they will not return if there is adequate browse and water available in the wild.

Latest posts