Lost pig

dantenerotitus

Just born
Reaction score
I've lost my one year old female potbelly. She just vanished. The two big boys are still around, and uninjured, but I can't find any trace of the female. She had to have been at least 60 pounds, so I can't think something would have carried her off. Our largest predator is a coyote. There's been no sign of attack, or anxiety in any of the other animals. I hate to consider it, but would someone steal a potbelly off a farm?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
In short, yes, yes they would. If they can.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Forgive my manners... Welcome to BYH. Sorry you seem to have lost your pig. Were it me, I'd be concerned that the perp (human or otherwise) might come back with help to get the others. I hope you solve the mystery so you can prevent a recurrence. Glad you joined us here. Hope you'll stick around. Make yourself at home.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome. And yes unfortunately they would. Did she disappear during the day or at night? Hard to steal a pig with anyone around due to all the squealing but it happens. How is their fencing? Any chance she escaped?

dantenerotitus

Just born
Reaction score
I don't think she escaped. I've had the pigs for over a year, they've always stayed together and come and go into their shelter from a large pasture. I can't see any reason, behaviorally, that she would have left the group and her home. We are close to a busy road, and the barn isn't particularly secure, but it's hard to imagine someone making off with a pig. The entire property is fenced, with a gate at the driveway. The house is not that far from the barn, but with windows closed and AC on, I suppose someone could have come on the property without us or the dogs knowing. The pig was missing at AM feeding yesterday, and I haven't seen her since. Very sad for me.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry you lost your pig, it is worse not knowing what happened. I have been losing ducks and chickens lately but pretty sure mine is a coyote or fox. I would think about getting a trail camera set up so if they come back you will at least have it on camera. Could it have been a Mountain Lion? They could easily hop in grab and run.

Welcome to BYH from California.

dantenerotitus

Just born
Reaction score
I'm in Wisconsin, so no mountain lions. Black bears occasionally, but I've never seen one on or near the property. Seems like there might be more evidence of predation if that was the case, but I don't know, really.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never had a big animal taken but I highly doubt it was a predator if there is no sign of anything. Bears occasionally attack farm animals but I don't think one would take off with a pig.

dantenerotitus

Just born
Reaction score
That's what I think too. There's no sign whatsoever of anything amiss, other than the pig just gone.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The bears will knock down the fence, they don't go over anything...they go through.

it's funny how many states say they don't have mountain lions and yet people see them. Now I am not saying your pig was snatched but at least parts of Wisconsin do have Mountain Lions.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/...northern-wisconsin-b99551327z1-320796081.html

I think a coyote would have a hard time hauling the pig over the fence, I am really thinking human. I would put an ad on Craigslist, maybe some one will turn someone in if they stole it.