Loving sheep now headbutting me!

4 yr old ewe just started headbutting me should I be concerned and how do I stop this behavior?

• Total voters

vt_mountainman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One of my friendliest ewes started doing that to me also. One day I just happened to see her put her head down and come running at me from about 10' away. Fortunately I was prepared, so just as she got to me I flipped her over and held her down, the exact same way that norseofcourse described in the post above.

I held her down until she stopped struggling, but I did NOT hurt her in any way, and I did not yell at her at all. Actually, I calmly talked to her while I held her on the ground. Once she became quiet, I held her for a minute or two longer, and then let her up. She completely avoided me for about 2 weeks after I did that, but gradually she came back to me to me for more attention. She is now just as friendly as she was before, but she no longer head butts me at all.

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm dealing with this right now with a wether. Shoving him back only seems to exacerbate the situation, as he wants to keep fighting even worse. So that's a bad idea. I tried yelling "No," which had little effect (other than to scare the rest of the flock watching in fear). So then I decided to try abruptly walking away. He looked shocked that I up and left. Maybe I'll continue to try that, but I'm not so sure it will be effective either honestly. I'm kind of wimpy, so I'm not able to flip him over, but I did try just holding him/restraining him and that seemed to encourage him. Today was the naughtiest he's ever been. He was certainly the friendliest, most assertive newborn this year too.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southdown - getting Elding down on the ground certainly helped for me. Iit wouldn't be a bad idea to find a sheep mentor or vet who can show you how to get leverage for when you may need to restrain a sheep safely.

Another technique I used this spring was taking a leash in with me every time I went in their pasture, during breeding season when Elding started acting stupid toward me. It was the type of leash with an O-ring at the end, so it made a collar and leash all in one.

If Elding came toward me and either made any threatening moves or even just 'had that look in his eye', I'd put the leash on him and take him along with me wherever I happened to be walking in their pasture. It kept him close so I could keep an eye on him, and he couldn't get a running start to try and butt me. Pretty soon the sight of the leash would stop him in his tracks lol.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rams (and wethers) are the chief culprits for this behaviour. though clearly some of you have had this from ewes,too.. If you watch a group of them together, head butting and shoving is pretty common. Maybe they just like these little 'jostles' as well as feeling they need to constantly re-define their position in the 'pecking order'.

Avoid ever turning on your back on rams who are behaving in this way....you may get seriously whacked from behind.

Any ram who 'starts' to show dominance with me (a bit of a sickly weakling at the best of time) will get a tap on the nose with a small stick....not even enough to hurt, just to warn . Alternatively I slap their rump (but this can hurt the hand).

As I've never had this from a ewe, then it's not a proven strategy for ewes....but I'm sure that it would work.

Good Luck.

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Would someone explain the water squirting idea to me. I'm ready to try this on my problem wether right now. He's getting worse and even the other sheep are sick of him.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
I havent read the other responses, tired but want to say what worked for me.

I interract, discipline wise, with my herds and flocks the same way they interract with eachother. As a single animal, she is testing you for dominance so another animal for her might be good. My ram attempted this one me ONCE. As the dominat ram/queen/rooster/swine on my farm, I do not accept aggression and give it back. With goats and sheep, this means putting them on their rear ends, and -hard- in comparison to their size. I grab the side of the neck or collar if they are wearing one and reach quickly to the back leg thats away from me, under the belly and pull. This breaks the balance and supports their fall. I will then remain on top of them, holding them down until they stop fighting. Its uncomfortable and vulnerable for them, not fighting is submission. When the animal gets up, ill move firmly towards it, and ive never had them not back off. Do NOT hesitate when you start, judge the amount of force you need for size.

We dont tolerate mean critters here, as i believe that trait is passed on. You get one chance, two if im strangely attached, but if they become agressive again, they are harvested or sold with disclosure.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
I forgot to mention. Alternatively, if you cant reach the back leg, you can leverage the rear end by grabbing skin at the side near the rump and folding the neck into the rear while puahing down on the rear.

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The water bottle spray worked for me for a while, but I had to stop using it when cold weather came around and he just started to like me spraying him. Now its a big plastic bag, when I'm cleaning; the racket it made.:) But she really needs a companion.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Put her with another flock. The majority of butting offenders - either goats or sheep - are pets. They have no respect for you and are competing for domination in the flock hierarchy. Since you are the only member of the flock now, she will continue to butt you until you teach her you are in charge, or she puts you second in authority. Since you are placing her with a family, hopefully they already are familiar with livestock and she will take her place in a flock. Do not worry about hurting your sheep. Sheep are very powerful and their skulls are designed to take a huge amount of force from butting. A head butt from a ram can break an adult human's leg. The trick is never let your livestock get in the habit of jumping on you or butting you, no how matter cute it seems when they are babies. Sheep can be trained to come into the barn at night and go out during the day, lead on halter, etc. That's about it. They are livestock, not pets. We have had sheep and goats for over 20 years, most of them 4-H with our kids. Dairy goats are the most affectionate and lovable. Sheep become workable. Have fun with your livestock and enjoy them, but if you want a loving, loyal, trainable pet, get a dog.