Low Carb/Keto Recipe Thread

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am wanting something more akin to comfort food this afternoon but without the carbs so I started going through my recipe files and found one of my favorites. It makes it feel like comfort food but still pretty low carb. Teresa has to eat more carbs to maintain her weight so I cook some pasta to go along with the zucchini strips. I get the taste I'm looking for and she can get more carbs.

Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta
Calories 600kcal
Ingredients
  • 1 Pound Ground Italian Sausage
  • 1/2 Pound Penne Pasta and the same of zucchini strips
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 1/2 Yellow Onion Minced
  • 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 2 Cups Heavy Cream
  • 5 Ounces Baby Spinach
  • 1 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Instructions
  • Cook the penne pasta (cook the zucchini strips in the microwave) in a large pot of salted boiling water according to package directions.
  • While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
  • Cook the Italian sausage along with the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt until the sausage is no longer pink.
  • Drain excess fat from the skillet if necessary and return the meat mixture to the pan.
  • Turn the heat to low and add the cream to the skillet. Bring to a simmer and add in the spinach.
  • Cook, stirring for about 3 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
  • Stir in the parmesan cheese until melted. Stir the pasta into the sauce.
  • Serve immediately.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa isn't a big meat eater so I try to keep meatballs on hand since they can be served in so many ways. These aren't truly low carb but Panco bread crumbs are 23 grams to 1/3 of a cup and they are stretched with so many servings that the count is relatively low.

Meatballs

I thought about adding an egg but they seemed to hold together well. These were outstanding.
Cover with your favorite red sauce and serve with pasta or in crusty garlic bread rolls."
Ingredients
  • I used a two pound mix of beef and pork
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (used 1 TBSP garlic salt instead of adding salt MM)
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian or Greek seasoning
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • crushed red pepper flakes to taste
  • 1 dash hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's RedHot(R)), or to taste
    1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup skim milk (MM used 2%)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (MM almost 1.2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup Panco bread crumbs
Directions
  1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Place the beef into a mixing bowl, and season with salt, onion, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, oregano, red pepper flakes, hot pepper sauce, and Worcestershire sauce; mix well. Add the milk, Parmesan cheese, and bread crumbs. Mix until evenly blended, then form into 1 1/2-inch meatballs, and place onto a baking sheet.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, 20 to 25 minutes.

Meatballs 27 Nov 2019.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks Great!! Have you every tried grilling or smoking those?

I have cooked them on the smoker at a fairly high heat and they are good but they have a tendency to stick due to the ingredients so they have to be sprayed with oil or Pam. Baking them avoids sprayed them with oil for a little healthier version.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I threw together a Cumin Lamb dish this afternoon. I don't have a recipe but cumin is a really good spice to use with lamb.

The ingredients:
garlic - chopped
cumin - I used a tablespoon
Sichuan pepper
cayenne pepper
salt to taste
rice wine or sherry
cubed lamb
pea pods
sliced onion
scallions (the white cooked with the sliced onion and the green added when the dish is done.
soy sauce
cilantro
a couple of anchovies or anchovy paste. The anchovies only make a subtle change in the taste and I yet have anyone identify that they are in the dish.

I cook the onions with the garlic with a bit of butter till almost done then add the meat and cook till it's brown but don't over cooklightly brown. I add the pea pods with a little water and cover to simmer till the pea pods are almost done then add the soy sauce, cilantro and anchovies and mix well. Cook long enough that the anchovies melt if using whole ones or if using the paste, it's done as soon as it is mixed in.

Pea pods are lower carb than other peas (about half)

Cumin Lamb.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never grown them but we love artichokes and usually cook them by steaming and using melted butter to dip the petals in. I wouldn't think they would be a potato substitute but they are tasty. It's not something that is going to get you quickly full since you eat them one petal at a time and they are super nutritious and full of anti oxidants.

edit: they have a nutty but sweet taste.