Low Carb/Keto Recipe Thread

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That even LOOKS like real bread! Where do you get physillum (silly) flour?

Psyllium Husks - I got it from Amazon. I can dig out the vendor if you want but it does make it taste and feel like "real" bread. Atlantic Spice Company also carries it but then you have around $8.00 shipping with orders under $50.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I imagine this is going to turn up some noses because it uses a couple of slices of anchovies. Teresa doesn't like them by themselves but they literally melt into this dish.

Braised Cauliflower with Garlic and Anchovies

Braised Cauliflower with Garlic and Anchovies
(Makes 4-6 servings, slightly adapted from The Wednesday Chef, who adapted it from Russ Parsons.)

1 large head cauliflower (core removed and cut into same-size flowerets)
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. anchovy paste from a tube, or use 2 mashed anchovy filets from a can
tiny pinch red pepper flakes
1-2 T olive oil (will depend on your pan)
1/2 Cup chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or more)

Cut the cauliflower in half, cut out the core part, and cut the cauliflower into same-size flowerets. Mash the garlic and anchovy paste together with mortar and pestle or with a fork.

Heat olive oil in large, heavy frying pan. (A pan that's not non-stick will give the best browning.) Add the mashed garlic/anchovy mixture and saute over medium heat about about a minute, being careful not to brown the garlic. Add red pepper flakes and saute about 30 seconds more, then add cauliflower pieces, raise the heat a little, and cook until the cauliflower has browned well, about 3-4 minutes.

Add chicken stock, cover pan, and lower heat to a very gentle simmer and cook 7 minutes, or until cauliflower feels barely tender. Remove lid and turn heat to high, cook until liquid has evaporated, not more than a couple of minutes longer. Mix in chopped parsley and serve hot.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just for something different I made this a couple nights ago. Recipe wasn't listed as low carb specifically but the yogurt has minimal carbs and the spices hardly any.

Yogurt Marinated Chicken Legs (or thighs)
Ingredients

1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp olive oil
1.5 Tbsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
Juice of 1/2 a small lemon
Generous amount of fresh ground black pepper
sea salt, to taste
3-3.5 lbs chicken drumsticks

I mixed all the spices into the yogurt and marinated it for maybe 45 minutes...popped it in the oven and baked until the juices were clear and enjoyed it with some garlic spiced cauliflower. Pretty tasty!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just for something different I made this a couple nights ago. Recipe wasn't listed as low carb specifically but the yogurt has minimal carbs and the spices hardly any.

Yogurt Marinated Chicken Legs (or thighs)

I do one similar to that with lamb chops but never tried it with chicken. I'll have to try some your way.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Then I'll have to try it with lamb chops! I made the dish with legs because DH is a fan...next time I'll try it with thighs!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had the cauliflower posted above for dinner tonight along with some mashed turnips and lamb shank roast in the Instant pot. We make the mashed turnips just like we used to do potatoes, add a little butter and low carb milk. We don't add salt and pepper since it doesn't need it for us. Net carbs for cooked is 3.5 for 1/2 cup then add whatever the milk is. Really large turnips can taste bitter when boiled so look for small to medium turnips.