Low Carb/Keto Recipe Thread

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tried several recipes that didn't call for pysillium husks but they just didn't have the bread texture that I was looking for.
You could probably just use Metamucil powder too.......Psyllium powder is the primary ingredient.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Metamucil is worse for me, than a plate of steaming greasy enchiladas with lots of cheese and onions, and a guacamole salad that you can get down at the LaSalle Hotel in old downtown.....

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I made Fathead pizza tonight for our supper. It was very good, the dough cooked up like real pizza dough. It didn’t taste like fake food at all. We each ate 2 pieces.

31A30E6A-6D2E-47A0-9594-D89C446C34F8.jpeg

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That looks awesome. Did you have to precook the dough at all?

Never mind that - I just looked at the recipe again.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes I pre-cooked the dough. Here's the recipe plus a link. I bought the book Keto for Carb Lovers, on Amazon, it has some good recipes in it. I cut the pizza into 8 pieces, so we each have 2 pieces for tomorrow. I recommend this recipe!

Ingredients:

delish-keto-supreme-pizza-157-1547583864.jpg

Bryce Johnson

For the crust:

• 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 ounces cream cheese
  • 2/3 cup almond flour
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
For the toppings:

• 1/2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 Italian sausage links, removed from casings
  • 1/3 cup marinara sauce
  • 3 Tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup sliced black olives
  • 8 slices pepperoni
Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onion and bell pepper and cook for four minutes. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until seared and no longer pink, about five minutes.
  2. Make pizza crust: In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine two cups shredded mozzarella and cream cheese and microwave until melty, about one minute. Stir in almond flour, egg, and Italian seasoning until fully combined.
  3. Place pizza dough on prepared baking sheet. Using wet hands, spread the dough into an oval shape as thin as dough will allow. Bake 10 minutes.
  4. Use a fork to poke holes in the dough if it has puffed up. Spread marinara sauce over crust and top with three tablespoons mozzarella, sausage mixture, olives, and pepperoni.
  5. Bake until cheese is melty, four to six minutes. Let cool slightly before slicing into eight pieces.
Per serving (two slices): 550 calories, 42 g fat (15 g sat), 1,100 mg sodium, 13 g carbs, 3 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein.

For more healthy, easy, keto-friendly recipes, buy Keto For Carb Lovers.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/a25908009/fat-head-pizza-keto-for-carb-lovers-cookbook/

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I copied a Bagel recipe this evening that I'll post if it turns out as good as I think it might.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first time I made this, I mad the buns way too big. Today I wanted a hot dog so I made a half recipe and formed 5 smaller buns and they turned out just right. The recipe says 4-8 servings but if you make just 4 buns they need to be shaped fairly flat because the rise a lot.

Keto Buns – The Best Low Carb Bread

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups almond flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 5 tbsp psyllium husk powder ground
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 tsp sea salt
    Instructions
    While preheating the oven at 350°F, start combining the dry ingredients in a bowl.
  1. Boil the cup of water and pour this into the bowl. Mix in the egg whites and vinegar as well. Beat the ingredients together with a hand mixer for around 30 seconds. Avoid overmixing. The outcome should have a Play Doh-like consistency.

2. Moisten your hands and shape the dough into 4-8 pieces. You can mold them into hamburger or hot dog buns, depending on your preference. Lay the formed dough on a baking sheet greased with oil.

3. Place the sheet on the lower rack of the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes. Time depends on the size of the bread you made. Check if done by tapping the base of the bun. If you hear a hollow sound, remove them from the oven.

4. Serve together with some butter or your favorite toppings. Keep them in the fridge or freezer.
Macros (per serving): Calories: 73kcal – Fat: 2.8g – Net carbs: 3g (total carbs: 9.5g, fiber: 6.5g) – Protein: 3.1g

https://www.ketovale.com/recipe/best-low-carb-bread/

Low Carb hot dog bun.JPG

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Umm! That looks Yummy! I haven’t gone to making any bread substitutes yet. Although, bread is my weakness. I can totally do without sugar. So, Keto desserts aren’t even on the radar.

I’m still recovering from foot and lower leg surgery, so am totally off my feet for at least another week. That leaves DH doing all the cooking.

To help my foot bones heal, I have been wanting to make some bone broth from our goat ribs, since the meat is so tough on the ribs. So, DH made a nice pot of:

Bone Broth

Fill a 6 or 8 quart InstantPot with goat ribs and some soup bones, with a nice amount of meat.

Add
2 chopped onions
2 tablespoons of minced garlic
3 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tsp of sea salt
2 Tbsp of beef gelatin powder
1 cup of cold water

Sprinkle gelatin in water and allow to soften
Fill the pot to the max fill line with water

At first don’t turn the pot on. Let the bones could soak in the acidic water for an hour, to pull the calcium out. Then close the steam vent, set it on high, for soup on for 2 hours. It takes 20 minutes for it to get up to pressure, and then the timer starts. After the two hours is up, let the steam release on it’s own for an hour.

When it was finishes cooking, remove the meat from the bones, and made sure all the bone pieces were out of the broth. Next use an immersion blender, to throughly blend the onions into the broth.

Rather than the broth being clear, it is an beautiful, creamy looking/tasting broth. YUM!!!

There was a small amount of fat layered in with the meat. So, I suggested he coarsly chop it and fry it until crisp. It turned out nice and crisp, sort of like pork cracklins, only more meat than fat - and oh so yummy. I couldn’t find anything, on myfitnesspal, that came even close, so since there was more meat than fat, I listed it (for my dinner) as 2 ounces of roast leg of pork. I’m guessing that would be kinda close.
Calories: 143 Carbs: 0g Fat: 8g Protein: 16g

I’m not an expert on using bone broth for increasing calcium (to aid bone growth) or increase the immune system. But I know it is excellent for both. I’m planning to drink 1/2 cup with each meal, for the next couple weeks, at least. I will list it in my food diary as standard bone broth, for lack of a more accurate way to figure nutrition in our homemade version.
Calories: 35 Carbs: 0g Fat: 2g Protein: 3g

Last edited: