Low Carb/Keto Recipe Thread

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Balsamic Beef Pot Roast
This pot roast recipe can be made on the stove, in the slow cooker, or even in your Instant Pot. We have used beef but use it more for a lamb or mutton roast which also tastes great. The gravy it makes would probably be awesome over mashed potatoes but that takes the carbs out of the ball park. Besides, the cauliflower is better tasting.

Ingredients
  • One boneless chuck roast, approximately 3 lbs.
  • 1 Tbsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp black ground pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder or crushed garlic
  • 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
  • 2 cups water (one cup of water if using an Instant Pot)
  • 1 beef boulion cube crushed and add to water
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum or add corn starch to a bit of water instead.
  • Fresh parsley, chopped to garnish
Instructions
  1. Season the Chuck roast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder on both sides.
  2. In a large heavy bottomed pan sear both sides of the roast until browned. Deglaze the pan with the balsamic vinegar and cook for one minute.
  3. Add the water (and boullion and onion to the pan. Bring to a boil.
  4. Cover and simmer on low for 3 to 4 hours.
  5. Carefully remove the meat from the pan to a large bowl. Break carefully into chunks and remove any large pieces of fat or other refuse.
  6. Whisk the corn starch in a small bit of water and add to the broth and then add the meat back to the pan.
  7. Serve over Cheesy Cauliflower Puree (recipe below), garnished with lots of fresh chopped parsley.
To make in the Instant Pot
  1. Cut your chuck roast in half so you have two pieces. Season the roast with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder on all sides. Using the saute feature on the instant pot, brown the roast pieces on both sides.
  2. Add 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar, 1 cup water, and 1/2 cup onion to the meat. Cover and seal, then using the manual button set the timer for 40 minutes. When the timer runs out, release the pressure by moving the lever to the “venting” setting. Once all the pressure is released, uncover the pot.
  3. Carefully remove the meat from the pan to a large bowl. Break carefully into chunks and remove any lare pieces of fat or other refuse.
  4. Use the saute function to bring the remaining liquid to a boil in the pot, and simmer for 10 minutes to reduce.
  5. Whisk the corn starch in a bit of water and add to the liquid in the pot, then add the meat back to the pan and stir gently.
  6. Turn off the heat and serve hot over cauliflower puree, garnished with lots of fresh chopped parsley.
Nutrition
  • Serving Size: 3/4 cup meat with sauce
  • Calories: 393
  • Fat: 28g
  • Carbohydrates: 3g net
  • Protein: 30g
Cheesy Cauliflower Puree (Low Carb)
  • Yield: 2 cups
Ingredients
  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • 2 Tbsp heavy cream
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 2 ounces of sharp cheese (we use cheddar or havarti normally)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Clean and trim the cauliflower, breaking it into medium sized pieces.
  2. Place in a microwave safe bowl with 2 Tbsp of cream and 1 Tbsp of butter.
  3. Microwave, uncovered, on high for six minutes. Or cook in a steamer for 20 minutes.
  4. Stir to coat cauliflower with cream/butter mixture. Microwave for another six minutes on high.
  5. Remove from the microwave and put into a high speed blender or food processor along with the cheese. Puree until smooth. (Mike's note: We just used a manual potato masher and it was excellent although not as smooth as the blender makes it.)
  6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can adjust the cream and butter to your preference.
Nutrition
  • Serving Size: 1/2 cup
  • Calories: 148
  • Fat: 11g
  • Carbohydrates: 4g
  • Protein: 6g

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of my quick go-to meals after work is Garlic Shrimp and Sautéed Vegetable dish. Mostly made in one pan so it's fairly quick and easy. I start by sautéing some onions and multi-colored mini sweet peppers. When those get soft I'll add some fresh sliced garlic and sliced mushrooms and then peeled and deveined shrimp. If the shrimp are large I may cut them into bite size pieces. When all of that is cooked I will add some white wine (or chicken broth), butter and cream to make a nice sauce. We've had it over riced cauliflower, zoodles or some of the carb free noodle substitutes. (Miracle noodles)

If using a noodle substitute be sure to drain and rinse very well. I usually heat them in a pan with butter and garlic if I'm using them in a garlic-y recipe.

Depending on what I've got on hand I have used various veggies in the recipe. Sugar snap peas are delish, thinly sliced squash and/or zucchini. Use your imagination!

Sorry - I don't have nutritional info.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The majority of my recipes don't have nutritional info either and we aren't publishing :) but I was curious so looked up a couple of items. They all have carbs but nothing like the starchy foods.

Carbs
1 cup Cauliflower - 5g total with 3 of those being fiber
3 ounces shrimp - 0.8 carbsM
1 cup snow peas - 10g
4 ounces zucchini - 4g net with 1g fiber
1 clove garlic - 1g

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
This was easy since we already had a chicken cooked and the concept is good to give something a bit different but it needs something else to be anywhere near the tastiness of a real high carb enchilada.

KETO CHICKEN ENCHILADA RECIPE

Ingredients:
  • 1 Rotisserie Chicken Breast (Shredded)
  • 2 Cup Mexican Style Cheese (Shredded)
  • 1/2 Bunch Green Onion (Chopped)
  • 2 Table Spoon Diced Green Chilis
  • 2 Tablespoon Sliced Black Olives
  • 4 Tablespoons Sour Cream
  • 6 Tablespoons Red Enchilada Sauce
Instructions:
  1. Shred the Rotisserie Chicken Breast with two forks until uniformly separated.
  2. Add Green Chilis to the Chicken and stir.
  3. On a Large Baking Sheet, cover it with 2 pieces of Parchment Paper cut in half (we used aluminum foil and it worked fine). It is important that you cut this down the middle now, as it will make the later steps much easier.
  4. Place the shredded cheese onto the baking sheet in Four equal sized piles.
  5. Bake the Cheese in the oven at 350*F for about 7 minutes, or until it is bubbling hot AND the edges just begin to get a brown crisp to them.
  6. When the cheese is ready, remove from the oven and spoon the Chicken and Green Chili mixture into the Cheese near the edge that is closest to you. You do not want to place it in the middle like a taco, as you are going to be rolling this into an Enchilada.
  7. Roll the cheese carefully over the chicken to make a solid “tortilla”-style roll.
  8. Place onto plate, and spoon on the Red Enchilada Sauce mixture.
  9. Top with Sliced Black Olives, Sour Cream, and Chopped Green Onion.
SPECIAL NOTE: The nutrition facts include ALL of the ingredients, so if you want to make this dish even MORE LOW CARB you can cut out the Sour Cream, Olives, and Green Onion, and you would make this dish almost Completely CARB-FREE.

Serving size 2 Enchiladas, Calories 600.Total Fat 45g,Saturated Fat 27g, Trans Fat 0g
Choleterol 175mg, Sodium 500mg, Total Carbs 7g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Total Sugars 3g Includes 0 added Sugars, Protein 42g

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:th

:hit:hit:hit

This is a mortal sin- the mention of THAT ..... how does a dairy goat breeder even mention those words.
I thought my night was bad after discovering my coffee maker broke... thought I'd cheer myself up while reading this cool thread .
And then.
Then.
I saw that. :(:(:(

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Hard times call for tough decisions. I need to breed a goat that produces low carb milk! And, I’m not milking right now...

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:th

:hit:hit:hit

This is a mortal sin- the mention of THAT ..... how does a dairy goat breeder even mention those words.
I thought my night was bad after discovering my coffee maker broke... thought I'd cheer myself up while reading this cool thread .
And then.
Then.
I saw that. :(:(:(
I winder if he sells nut shares..?

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So looking fwd to having Dot deliver so I can go back to my fresh goat milk again. As wide as she is, I'm fearing trips and no extra milk for me. That would be a :hitshame... I'd then have to hope one of the other older girls has a single and go about training them to be my milk supply.

Latest posts