Low Carb/Keto Recipe Thread

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The texture is like a toasted English Muffin, crisp on the outside and bread texture inside. It seems to stay that way as I just looked at the piece I saved for Teresa.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
My health issue is being overweight and I haven't been sick with the cold or flu in over 5 years; I've actually never had the flu and I don't do flu shots either. I spend a lot of time outside, I think that makes a big difference. I am probably as healthy as they come. I am sure that making ice cream won't won't help the weight at all, after all I have to taste it all, right?
Not having the flu shot is smart, Babs! Part of the problem with our flawed healthcare system is that the drugs used only treat the symtoms and not the cause. However, the bigger problem is that the toxic chemicals in our environment destroy our immune systems.

Back in 2000, my immune system was weak, on top of the fact that I pushed myself to beyond exhaustion, in the 90’s, going to nursing school and working full time nights, at the hospital. Then I contracted Epstein Barr Virus (EBV or mononucleosis or sleeping sickness). The combination of fatigue and weak immune system allowed the EBV to weaken my immune system even more. Through it all I developed MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) and I got even sicker.

By 2005, I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease. I was so sick, I had to quit my job. It took me three years to find an integrative doctor (treats with both conventional drugs and herbs, supplements and nutraceuticals). In 2008. He diagnosed my EBV, and that my immune system was non-existent. He started treating it with herbs and supplements that built up my immune system. Lyme is a prehistoric microbe which is impossible to kill, and treat. It can ultimately kill the patient. By building up my immune system, my body was able to overpower the Lyme spirocete, and it went into remission, and I haven’t been sick with it since.

I have not had the flu since 2008, and I refuse to have a flu shot. I continue to reject most drugs (including antibiotics). I avoid processed foods, eat cultured foods [cultured vegetables, Kefir and Kombucha] which strengthen the immune system on the gut level and take my herbs and supplements. I am healthier now, than I ever was before I got sick.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
True - it took longer to toast it than it did for the initial cook time. Of course, even with it in big bold letters I thought it only needed a minute. Still came out pretty good!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
90 Second Microwave Bread

I edited the original post with the recipe in case someone wanted to try it with lower fat and cholesterol. I made another test bread using the whites of two eggs to make it low cholesterol. It cooked the same, tasted like french toast but didn't brown quite as nice. Otherwise the same except lower fat and cholesterol.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time outside, I think that makes a big difference.
For most, it makes a huge difference, especially if you are doing a LOT outside..not just spending idle time out there watching the grass grow and the flowers bloom.

What about barley malt? Don't know carbs or sugars, etc. in this but, have heard some say it can work as sweetener sufficiently.

Again, I didn't research it. I suspect it's about like "any" sugar.
Malted barley definitely has sugars in it, but it depends on how far the malt process is taken. I know for beer making, the process is usually at first, stopped short of full conversion from starch to sugar, but further processes turn the malt into fermentable sugars to feed the yeast. (it's one of the reasons they use hops.....nobody likes sweet beer, so they use hops to add some bitterness)
The malted barley that is used to make a milk shake into a malted milkshake tastes sweet, but it also has powdered milk in it. The malted barley portion of the ingredients is kinda low in sugar compared to other things...10 g per 3 tablespoons.
carnmaltbarley.jpg

Definitely not gluten free, and milk probably not from 'free range' cows, and no guarantees the barley is GMO free, that there were no fertilizers used in it's production or that no pesticides or herbicides were used on the fields where the soybeans, barley and wheat was grown or where the cattle grazed, so some reading this may choose to not even consider it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
For most, it makes a huge difference, especially if you are doing a LOT outside..not just spending idle time out there watching the grass grow and the flowers bloom.

I watch the grass grow so I know when to mow it and I watch the flowers to check for bees. Other than that it is mucking pens, building fences, chasing goats, weeding fence lines, building feeders, cleaning coops, pruning trees, building decks, and anything else that requires some serious work. Idle time is not one of my luxuries unless I am camping, which I haven't done in the last 10 years.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
What about barley malt? Don't know carbs or sugars, etc. in this but, have heard some say it can work as sweetener sufficiently.

Again, I didn't research it. I suspect it's about like "any" sugar.
Mini, is this what you were referring to?
Nutritional value of Syrups, malt
Serving Size: 1 tbsp, 21 g
Calories 67
Protein 1.3 g
Carbohydrate 14.97 g