Low Temps Tonight, Will Newborn Kids Be OK---PICTURES!! :-)

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you all! I knew not to pull on the afterbirth----about half fell off and I took scissors and very carefully cut most of what was left off---it looked uncomfortable.
I did end up bringing the one.baby that wasn't doing well inside. No BOSE, but I am bottle-feeding her. She was just laying on her side in the goat shed, and her momma even stepped on her foot once. She seems to be coming arpund quickly---I had little splints on her back legs for awhile, but just took them off and she was.standing fine. She seems so delicate!! The other 2 are doing well with momma, and already getting personalities. Avain, thanks for the help

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They are adorable. If the afterbirth doesn"t come out on it's own in a day or so I would call a vet. There is something they can give her, name slips my mind right now. I agree with the choice to bring the weaker one inside. She may have had trouble getting up and nursing with her bum leg.

Congratulations! :love

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The afterbirth was passed, just not coming loose. This morning there was just a small amount left. All three kids are doing well. The one inside will probably be inside for awhile. Here are pics of them wearing their sweaters. Of course, Flower doesn't oneed hers for now, I just thought she looked cute.. I also included a pic of her without her sweater.
KIMG0096.JPG
KIMG0097.JPG
KIMG0086.JPG
KIMG0095.JPG

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had colostrum from TSC that I added to her forumla. Unfortunately, little Flower passed away sometime between 12:30 & 3:00 this morning.:hit I thought something was wrong because I noticed last night that the formula would collect in her throat and her throat would be bulging until I held her close to me and she would act like she was nursing and swallow it all tne way. She whined quite a bit during the night and I kept getting up with her, but she definately wasn't hungry. I think she may hsve had some defect with her digestive tract. Really sad right now, but on an uplifting side, the other two are doing great.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had colostrum from TSC that I added to her forumla. Unfortunately, little Flower passed away sometime between 12:30 & 3:00 this morning.:hit I thought something was wrong because I noticed last night that tormula would collect in her throat and her throat would be bulging until I held her close to me and she would act like she was nursing and swallow it all tne way. She whined quite a bit during the night and I kept getting up with her, but she definately wasn't hungry. I think she may hsve had some defect with her digestive tract. Really sad right now, but on an uplifting side, the other two are doing great.
I looked jp what could have been wrong with ber. One possibilty is "milk throat" aother had to do with being jnfested with

Trigoat&pbrlover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm so sorry about Flower. :hugs :hugs :hugs:hugs

Your other kids are SO darling :)

When I read about Flower, you said it could be "milk throat". I have never seen/read/heard anything about it being deadly :\. That is what made me think about an Iodine deficiency.
FROM- http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/iodinedeficiency.html
Iodine deficiency in goats is a disease of the thyroid gland. Under the chin behind the larynx on the front of neck, the thyroid gland enlarges to form a goiter when the goat is deficient in iodine......
There is more to the link. Does this sound like your girl?

If you think it could be an Iodine deficiency, you can do a test to see if your goats are deficient. :)

Here is the link.

Last edited:

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Maybe few plastic gallons with hot water in the corner can help a bit.
Very beautiful kids.