Lump by mouth

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When it rains, it pours! I'm having another issue with my new group of Nubian kids.

My nearly 8 week old doe has a marble-sized lump right by her mouth. It's hard and doesn't seem to bother her much when I touch it. The vet is seeing one of the other kids tomorrow so I'll definitely have him take a look at it then but it'd be nice to get some ideas in the meantime.

IIEInHj.jpg

The breeder she came from has a closed herd which has tested negative for CL.

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for all the issues your having with your new goats. Did you see the paperwork showing if they have had any goats that are positive for cl? He might have a bug bite, bee sting. @Southern by choice.

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry for all the issues your having with your new goats. Did you see the paperwork showing if they have had any goats that are positive for cl? He might have a bug bite, bee sting. @Southern by choice.

Yes. I've been getting goats from this breeder for years and have never had problems. Bee sting makes sense since we do raise honey bees on our farm too and they're always up around the goat pens.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
That seems pretty likely. I would watch it and see if it is gone in a few days.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the angle of the pic, but did you check to see if she's got a wad of food stuck in her cheek area?

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the angle of the pic, but did you check to see if she's got a wad of food stuck in her cheek area?

It was really hard to get her to hold still. I've felt all inside her mouth. It's not food or cud. Doesn't appear to be anything stuck in there. I was thinking bee sting/bug bite or maybe an abscess in a salivary gland.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tooth or Salivary or possibly something stuck in or outside that got in there and is making an abscess. Location isn't a CL location.
Nubians are more prone to salivary abscesses then other breeds.. according to one of our vets... usually young animals though.
It doesn't really look salivary though.

Good to have your vet check.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hope it's nothing serious. Good luck with the vet visit.

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hope it's nothing serious. Good luck with the vet visit.

I took her into the vet with my buckling (he has an upper respiratory infection) and vet said it looks like a bee sting snd it should clear up on its own. I can apply hot compresses to it and if it hasn't gone down in a few days then I can give him a call.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did he give you a benedryl dosage at least?

Usually bee stings cause swelling over an area, never seen a bee sting produce a lump.

Hope it goes down. Benedryl will reduce swelling rather quickly.