lump in throat, need advice PLease

UglyDog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
3 month old doeling Fainter, has a lump in her throat similiar to a adams apple, just below the jaw line in the center of neck/throat?

Any advice please help

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
A pic would really help...

It could be iodine deficiency (pretty rare) or milk goiter (fairly common) or bottle jaw from severe enemia...if her eyelids are pale (lt. gray or white) then I'd say bottle jaw and deworm her w/ a GOOD dewormer asap.

It could even be CL but not real common at such a young age.

UglyDog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
THanks I will try and find a picture. I have 1% Ivomec in stock how much would you suggest? and should I go ahead and give the rest of the goats Ivomec also?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
It depends on whether or not ivomec works in your area / on your goats for the type of worm that would cause that severe anemia....

Ivomec won't touch Barberpole here.

I use injectable cydectin (1cc per 100#) for barberpole worm.

And...if the other goats aren't pale (anemic) then, no, I wouldn't unless you have a fecal ran to prove they need it.

Overuse of dewormers / using the wrong dewormer / guessing what worms you have / under or overdosing are ALL leading to mass dewormer resistance.

Talk to an experienced goat producer or good goat vet in your area....

4hmama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Keep an eye on it...IF it is CL, you do NOT want the abscess to burst on it's own. If you can a vet to lance it and send the exudate off and test for CL. Yes the goat is young, but it isn't impossible to have it.

UglyDog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
P7050549.JPG

P7050558.JPG

now this kid also has one

P7050541.JPG

Here is the mothers eyelids, the kids were acting spooky today and did not want me touching them to look at their eyelids
P7050546.JPG

What is CL?

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I concur...leave them alone and put away the dewormers...have a fecal examination done if you Must...but their eyelids wouldn't suggest that they are over-run with any type of parasite...

I certainly wouldn't lance it or have some improperly trained vet try either...jmo

UglyDog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank You, Thank You All!

Latest posts