Lump in Udder burst

TulipAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi!

Have you ever seen a lump in the udder that did not seem to be mastitis? The udder was never hot. This lump came shortly after we brought her to our homestead. So she’s had it at least 5 months, probably a little longer (definitely before she was bred).

Today when I was checking on her (she should lamb soon) I noticed the lump was draining. We caught her, gloved up, squeezed the drainage into a ziplock bag and then cleaned it out with iodine.

The discharge was not cheesy. It was smooth and thick and a dark cream color.

Any ideas??

This flock does have history with CL *but any sheep presenting it was always culled and the farmer hadn’t seen any signs of it in 2 or 3 years.*

Below, taken in September

8F320BCF-1FDD-4122-AD5C-6E3479358976.jpeg

A couple weeks ago.
88CFFE55-5EA6-4828-98D1-5E5A3FBE7F22.jpeg

What I found before I drained it.
A2DB48A8-2EA4-49B7-99FB-1EEE4A63E1FC.jpeg

Attachments

• 7EF4D4DD-ACA7-4FBA-A3A2-560BF4A4DD6E.jpeg
    7EF4D4DD-ACA7-4FBA-A3A2-560BF4A4DD6E.jpeg
    446.1 KB · Views: 95

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was an abscess. It shouldn't cause a problem. From the description of the discharge it was probably Actinobacillus. Actinobacillus abscesses drain with thick, smooth, white, yellow, or green pus. Clean the opening out well with iodine. You can give her a shot of Penicillin as well. Your vet can send the pus in to a lab for typing if you want. She should freshen without any problems on that side although the udder may be lopsided.

TulipAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It was an abscess. It shouldn't cause a problem. From the description of the discharge it was probably Actinobacillus. Actinobacillus abscesses drain with thick, smooth, white, yellow, or green pus. Clean the opening out well with iodine. You can give her a shot of Penicillin as well. Your vet can send the pus in to a lab for typing if you want. She should freshen without any problems on that side although the udder may be lopsided.
That is music to my ears!!! I sure hope that is the case. If I did take the sample into the vet should I keep it chilled until then?