Lump on my goats cheek

Mariah12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello I am new to this page but I have a emergency one of my goats that I’ve had for 4 years just grew a lump on the side of her cheek I noticed it yesterday afternoon and immediately Isolated her in one of the stalls my immediate thought was CL but the lump is not located on the spots where the get them the lump grew a bit bigger over night. I did feed my goats some garden plants so I think she might have ate something that got stuck on her cheek or something . I called my vet and she has an appointment next Monday so I won’t know till then

Attachments

• 694225EB-C613-4F7A-BF7D-8481C5579315.jpeg
    694225EB-C613-4F7A-BF7D-8481C5579315.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

caprines.n.me

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Goodness! You did exactly right by isolating her even if it likely isn't in a CL location. It could be a tooth problem or, as you indicated, something pokey that she ate. What is the texture of the lump? It could perhaps be a regular abscess and if growing quickly could rupture on it's own. I thought it might be appropriate to warn you of that, lol. Hope the vet can fix her up.

Mariah12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The lump got a big bigger kinda of looks the same as yesterday but it has a firm touch and it’s easy to move around

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it appeared suddenly and increased inside quickly, my first thought would be a bite and swelling. Could certainly be something else...a briar, splinter, etc. Hope it's minor. Please keep us posted.

Mariah12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes I will. She has her appointment on Monday

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
When the vet sees her, if it is an abscess, you will have to wait until it "ripens" to lance it. Then have the vet do a culture on the pus to make sure what it is.

If the pus is mushy greenish, it is probably Actinobaccillus. If it is harder pus that looks like cottage cheese then it might be Caseous Lymphadenitis.

I was getting really upset with my sheep getting abscesses so had them cultured and it turned out to be Actinobaccillus. This is another type of organism that can cause abscesses when the skin is punctured by splinters, thorns, etc. Ugly and nasty, but not CL. Actinobaccillus is present on the outside of everyone's skin so any cut can allow it to start an infection. For some reason it is more prevalent in sheep than in goats Our goats never got abscesses. Actinobaccillus abscesses can get enormous.

Mariah12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So update on my goat over the week the bump went down to almost nothing took her to her appointment my vet said that he thinks it was from a bite or a hit nothing major I was so Relief I am thinking that maybe my miniature pony bit Her he tends to get aggressive when I feed them fruit he doesn’t like sharing he gave her Banmaine for the rest of the little swelling she has left so she should be back to normal

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
So update on my goat over the week the bump went down to almost nothing took her to her appointment my vet said that he thinks it was from a bite or a hit nothing major I was so Relief I am thinking that maybe my miniature pony bit Her he tends to get aggressive when I feed them fruit he doesn’t like sharing he gave her Banmaine for the rest of the little swelling she has left so she should be back to normal
I’m glad your goat is getting better! I hope you stick around, now that you are here. :frow
:welcome

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good news on your goat. Not every lump is CL! Most are not. But I still get nervous when I see any swellings or lumps.

Latest posts