lump under Peaches jaw area

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was rubbing Peaches chin and under jaw area and noticed a lump back under her jaw towards her neck. It felt firm not hot or soft. I didn't get a.great feel of the other side...she was not happy about it. otherwise she seems normal. PLEASE don't tell me this.is some life.treating disease. Or something. ...I can't handle any more. :hit

TGreenhut

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Could it be a tooth abscess?
x2. My horse just had something like that and it was a tooth root abscess. Can llamas get a type of CL?

:hugs

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Anything is possible..... It is not really noticeable...I just felt it and it seemed slightly bigger than her other side by her throat. I do have 4 fainting goats...none have ever been ill nor do they share a pasture with Peach or her mom. ..should I stick a needle in it.....should I give penicillian just encased.......I'm just so drained emotionally from all this....lost my one house Silkie chicken Sun to tumor s....UGH....don't know how much more I ca.deal with...someone slap me. .....ill feel more tomorrow and try and get a pic. Ill try to get hold of my vet also......

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would not stick a needle in it. If you could get a picture, that would be great. She could have gotten food stuck or a hay poke or tooth abscess or something. You usually have to wait for it to burst before really treating it. I hate to say go ahead with the antibiotics without knowing for sure what it is. Calling the vet wouldn't be a bad idea.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I took a better look this morning.....a.d felt around. It is hard to tell if it is something or if it is just how she is. I can't tell if it is tissue or anything else...and I have drained accesses before from many animals. ...I don't know if I'm over reacting after all that has happened. I noticed when she nurses...yes mom still lets her....it is always from the same side with her head bent the same direction....where the bumper side faces out. I wonder if the tendons on that.s side just slightly bigger due to that.... I'll try tp get a pic.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/195_20121107_110753-1.jpg[/img]

195_20121107_110719-1.jpg

195_20121107_110734-1.jpg

195_20121107_110738-1.jpg

195_20121107_110753-1.jpg

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It is hard to tell in the pictures. Is it really under the jaw bone or on the jaw bone?

I would probably wait and see if it gets any bigger. If it is a tooth abscess, my vet usually starts with a course of Penicillin to see if it will go away that way. You could always do a round of Penicillin and do it for at least 7 days and see what happens.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Its on her throat area were jaw meets neck. It feels similar to the other side...just a little bigger. I was worried it might be lymph nodes inflamed or something....I might watch it for a day or so and if needed give penicillian. There is no heat to it that i can tell. I read on another forum of someone who lost a llama to a jaw infection....so I'm just concerned....do nothing or do something.

Latest posts