Lump

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I'm sorry. :hugs
Thank you! What I am not looking forward to, is telling the kids. :( I cried the whole way home with Lady, I can only imagine what they are going to do.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Oh, I am so sorry. I would definitely be vocal with people about what he did to you... warning them that he deals very shadily.
The vet just might be willing to testify on your behalf that the guy flat out lied to you about the health & care of this animal... if you decided to take a case to civil court in charging him with soem form of fraud.... Since he lied to you to get you to purchase a diseased animal.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
Oh, I am so sorry. I would definitely be vocal with people about what he did to you... warning them that he deals very shadily.
The vet just might be willing to testify on your behalf that the guy flat out lied to you about the health & care of this animal... if you decided to take a case to civil court in charging him with soem form of fraud.... Since he lied to you to get you to purchase a diseased animal.
Before a person gets too verbal one wants LAB RESULTS to verify CL positive or the tables could turn. Without this even the vets testimony could be classed as opinion or suspected CL.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sorry that you are dealing with this, it is tough. These animals get ahold of our hearts so quickly.

I have to ask...how did the vet determine that it is CL so quickly? My vet had to send in the pus for a culture and /or do a blood draw and send it off. I have never heard of a definitive answer being given while at the first vet visit.

I know that the location and the content of the abcess can be rather telling, but I am just curious if there is a test or some other method that I have missed.

Island Creek Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Have to agree with the previous post here! Some vets automatically assume ANY lump on the neck is CL, but it isn't always so. From what we've been told by AU, is that cultures HAVE to be sent off and returned as positive...location may be purely coincidental. We had a HUGE salivary cyst that our horse vet (love him to death...but, he ISN'T a goat vet!) swore was CL...had it checked and tested and it was nothing serious at all. I hope for your sake and your goats, that your vet took a sample and sent it to be tested!~

wow Babs! I lived in Anderson briefly! Small world! LOL

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
While your goat may in fact have CL, which I am sorry to hear, I wouldn't make any decisions about the animal until an actual lab test confirmed the diagnosis. This would also apply to any plans you might have to expose this man to others.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
SuburbanFarmChic said:
I am SO SO sorry!!

Did the vet lance it there? Just want to make sure it won't drain on your property and cause problems.
You know I really didn't care for this vet. She wouldn't lance it for me. Not to mention she was telling me my best bet to get my money out of her, was to send her to auction, where she would be sold as a meat goat. Thank you for the support.:)

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
Thank you. I like the idea of making this guy go out of business. Anytime that I see him put an ad on Craigslist, listing to take your unwanted goat, I delete it. :lol:

Latest posts