Lump

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
babsbag said:
I am sorry that you are dealing with this, it is tough. These animals get ahold of our hearts so quickly.

I have to ask...how did the vet determine that it is CL so quickly? My vet had to send in the pus for a culture and /or do a blood draw and send it off. I have never heard of a definitive answer being given while at the first vet visit.

I know that the location and the content of the abcess can be rather telling, but I am just curious if there is a test or some other method that I have missed.
She told me that they can actually do the testing there to see if it is or not, but for the actual yes, they would have to send it off. She said that the location, and what she saw was definitely leaning towards CL. She said not to mention the poor health that she was in. I told her about when I first picked up Lady, she pooped and peed in the car. The pee was almost bloody looking, and she said that was because she wasn't getting enough water. I told her how I noticed none of the goats had anything else other than blackberries, and she said that means that they didn't have the proper diet either.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Goatherd said:
While your goat may in fact have CL, which I am sorry to hear, I wouldn't make any decisions about the animal until an actual lab test confirmed the diagnosis. This would also apply to any plans you might have to expose this man to others.
I still want to expose this man to others. He told me that he clipped her feet, and the poor thing was going limp in her back leg because her nails were so bad. Not to mention she was under weight, she was infested with worms, she had a horrible cough, and to make thing's worse, he had chickens, ducks, a very under weight and sick looking calf. This guy is just out to make money from these poor babies.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
kstaven said:
Livinwright Farm said:
Oh, I am so sorry. I would definitely be vocal with people about what he did to you... warning them that he deals very shadily.
The vet just might be willing to testify on your behalf that the guy flat out lied to you about the health & care of this animal... if you decided to take a case to civil court in charging him with soem form of fraud.... Since he lied to you to get you to purchase a diseased animal.
Before a person gets too verbal one wants LAB RESULTS to verify CL positive or the tables could turn. Without this even the vets testimony could be classed as opinion or suspected CL.
I was speaking more to that fact that the vet told the OP that the previous owner didn't take care of the animal, and that she was taken for a ride by the guy.

I second everyone who has mentioned getting testing done, not just a vet looking at it and assuming, Like I mentioned before a bacterial test MUST be done. Too many vets now a days will assume, which can lead to the death of an animal that just had a harmless bacterial cyst. Unfortunately, this may require telling the vet, "Look, I understand your position, but I want you to lance this lump, and send a sample for testing. It is my goat, and my money. So, do what I'm asking you to do. Thank you." A lot of vets seem to think that it is in your best interest to just ditch the current goat and get a new one. They fail to see the fact that we care as much for our goats as we do our family, cats, and dogs. They are not just livestock, they are an extension of our family.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
kstaven said:
Livinwright Farm said:
Oh, I am so sorry. I would definitely be vocal with people about what he did to you... warning them that he deals very shadily.
The vet just might be willing to testify on your behalf that the guy flat out lied to you about the health & care of this animal... if you decided to take a case to civil court in charging him with soem form of fraud.... Since he lied to you to get you to purchase a diseased animal.
Before a person gets too verbal one wants LAB RESULTS to verify CL positive or the tables could turn. Without this even the vets testimony could be classed as opinion or suspected CL.
I was speaking more to that fact that the vet told the OP that the previous owner didn't take care of the animal, and that she was taken for a ride by the guy.

I second everyone who has mentioned getting testing done, not just a vet looking at it and assuming, Like I mentioned before a bacterial test MUST be done. Too many vets now a days will assume, which can lead to the death of an animal that just had a harmless bacterial cyst. Unfortunately, this may require telling the vet, "Look, I understand your position, but I want you to lance this lump, and send a sample for testing. It is my goat, and my money. So, do what I'm asking you to do. Thank you." A lot of vets seem to think that it is in your best interest to just ditch the current goat and get a new one. They fail to see the fact that we care as much for our goats as we do our family, cats, and dogs. They are not just livestock, they are an extension of our family.
I have to agree with you. The one thing that did bother me, the office told me that the vet is a good vet because she has her own goats. That really surprised me that she was telling me to start over again. I think it was because of how bad of condition Lil Lady is in though. She told me that it would be best to save up and get good quality goats. I have learned my lesson, from now on, I will be getting goats that I know are being takin care of. I know that I still have a chance of getting something that isn't the best health, but I am sure it would be in better health than what my Lil Lady is. Maybe I can find someone on here that is in Oregon. Who knows.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
What part of Oregon? I am not in OR, I am in No. California and next spring I could put you in touch with some friends that have very NICE goats of many different breeds. I belong to a North Valley Dairy Goat Association and we have members that raise just about every dairy breed, as well as boers. They all test for CL/CAE yearly and take very good care of thier animals. You would not be sorry getting a goat from anyone of them.

I am sorry your little goat is going through this, and you too. I hope you can find her a good home. I understand wanting to start over clean. While I have never had an abcess sometimes I wish I didn't have this lurking over my herd.

Good luck, and PM me if you want any names of breeders.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
babsbag said:
What part of Oregon? I am not in OR, I am in No. California and next spring I could put you in touch with some friends that have very NICE goats of many different breeds. I belong to a North Valley Dairy Goat Association and we have members that raise just about every dairy breed, as well as boers. They all test for CL/CAE yearly and take very good care of thier animals. You would not be sorry getting a goat from anyone of them.

I am sorry your little goat is going through this, and you too. I hope you can find her a good home. I understand wanting to start over clean. While I have never had an abcess sometimes I wish I didn't have this lurking over my herd.

Good luck, and PM me if you want any names of breeders.
:hugs Thank you for understanding!

damummis

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
babsbag said:
I am sorry that you are dealing with this, it is tough. These animals get ahold of our hearts so quickly.

I have to ask...how did the vet determine that it is CL so quickly? My vet had to send in the pus for a culture and /or do a blood draw and send it off. I have never heard of a definitive answer being given while at the first vet visit.

I know that the location and the content of the abcess can be rather telling, but I am just curious if there is a test or some other method that I have missed.
My thoughts exactly. I am going out on a limb here but there is NO WAY that vet had test results without lancing it. Any blood drawn or did they just look at it and say, "Yup, that's CL."? Get another opinion.

I too have been dealt a raw deal with my goats. I got them both with lumps. I know exactly how you feel. I took both girls over to the neighbors driveway when he was in FL and lanced both abscesses there. Cleaned them out, like Rolls said to. I started them on an immune builder thanks to Babsbag and they are doing great. I did not have them tested. I just treat them like they are CL positive even if they are not. Daisy did get a splinter from the rough cut barn over the summer and that abscessed right up. I still dealt with it like a CL abscess. Keep your chin up. :hugs

Latest posts