Lump

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She stuck a needle into it, and looked at it. I can't take her over to any of my neighbors, they have farm animals themselves.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
damummis said:
I took both girls over to the neighbors driveway when he was in FL and lanced both abscesses there. Cleaned them out, like Rolls said to.
Does your neighbor know that their property is potentially infected with CL now? I am trying not to be rude or overreact here, but that is a serious deal(potentially even a criminal one- given the infectious disease part). You felt the need to take the goats off your property to lance them, believing it to be CL... and chose to potentially infect your neighbor's property?
Have you told them that you did this? I ask, because they are legally required to disclose if there is any contagious disease or the potential for one on the property should they ever choose to sell. Not to mention the fact that they might like knowing anyways.
I appologize if this came across abrasive, but the way you worded what you said, implies that you did it without your neighbor's knowledge.

damummis

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
damummis said:
I took both girls over to the neighbors driveway when he was in FL and lanced both abscesses there. Cleaned them out, like Rolls said to.
Does your neighbor know that their property is potentially infected with CL now? I am trying not to be rude or overreact here, but that is a serious deal(potentially even a criminal one- given the infectious disease part). You felt the need to take the goats off your property to lance them, believing it to be CL... and chose to potentially infect your neighbor's property?
Have you told them that you did this? I ask, because they are legally required to disclose if there is any contagious disease or the potential for one on the property should they ever choose to sell. Not to mention the fact that they might like knowing anyways.
I appologize if this came across abrasive, but the way you worded what you said, implies that you did it without your neighbor's knowledge.
Yes, he knows. I did put a plastic sheet down and took all the necessary precautions so as not to get it on the ground. He understands what I did and didn't have a problem with it giving the method it was done. I can totally understand your concern. I could have worded it differently. :rolleyes: It isn't his house property or I wouldn't have asked. It is a rock quarry/work pit. Not that it should make a difference. Just to add, everything I used went into the brush fire DH had going at the time, except the plastic. That got carefully rolled and double bagged and sent to the dump.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
damummis said:
Livinwright Farm said:
damummis said:
Yes, he knows. I did put a plastic sheet down and took all the necessary precautions so as not to get it on the ground. He understands what I did and didn't have a problem with it giving the method it was done. I can totally understand your concern. I could have worded it differently. :rolleyes: It isn't his house property or I wouldn't have asked. It is a rock quarry/work pit. Not that it should make a difference. Just to add, everything I used went into the brush fire DH had going at the time, except the plastic. That got carefully rolled and double bagged and sent to the dump.
*insert sigh of relief here* :thumbsup Glad to hear that.

Island Creek Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I got lost here...are you sending a sample off to be cultured or are you just going to get rid of her? I understand wanting to start over, but without lab results, you could potentially be consigning her to meat over a simple splinter abscess. If I missed something sorry..it's awfully early here!

Was the pus thick like cottage cheese, or "normal" pus?

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
One of my goats had a suspicious lump this summer. I was worried sick and prepared for the worst. A lab culture showed it to NOT be CL. Not every lump is CL. I hope you had it tested.