Lump

GoatColt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have only had Nigerian dwarf goats for a year (2 boys) and have had no problems! I'm still learning.
recently I got 2 does in February. Almost a month (march 15) later one doe has a lump by her shoulder. i have done research and keep coming to CL .. however it seems like CL lumps are by the neck and face . The doe has a scab maybe an inch or half an inch away from the lump. I'm wondering if she punctured herself on something and this was the cause.
The lump has rounded out some and I think the end is coming close. I waited because I had read that sometimes the lumps will go away.
I'm not sure what to do. I have never taken blood, lanced, or injected anything.
I have read
-that the CL pus will have no smell but then I read it will have a horrid smell.
-people injecting formalin to heal lumps.
-people lancing the lump.
I have called local vets and no one treats goats. I called a vet that is an hour away and haven't gotten a call back.
What is everyone's suggestion?
Also is there a good article that has real information on lumps , CL , and other goat diseases?
Thanks so much :)

Edit: I forgot to mention she was given covexin and cydectin on February 18.

Attachments

• IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1849.JPG
    IMG_1849.JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score

GoatColt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to look it over

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, your vet can lance the lump and be able to tell you if it is CL. I had a doe in milk get a lump on her udder. Vet was convinced it was CL but it turned out not to be. Seems she somehow got a piece of hay stuck into the skin of the udder and it abscessed. The lump was strictly in the skin, not in the udder

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you has the goats tested for disease? Drawing blood isn't too difficult actually. ... then you pack it into a box with an ice pack and ship it off to whatever lab is closest to you.

It would just be nice to know if your herd was clean or not.

It is easy to get lumps and bumps and abscesses from all sorts of different things.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is no a typical CL location. That being said I would still not let the abscess rupture on its own. It would be best to have a vet lance it and collect some pus to send off for testing.

GoatColt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I can't find a vet in my area that sees goats and one office recommended a vet that's an hour away but I'm not getting a call back. The people we bought the goats from said they were disease free. They r registered does (I know it doesn't mean much but they weren't cheap!).
Do u think if I lance it I could send the puss to be tested?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you lance it do it over a tarp or on the driveway, some place that the goats will never be. You need to do a sterile catch of the pus so it is best to contact the lab and see how they want it collected. They may want it on a swab which you can get from any vet. The swap is sterile and comes in a tube, you just replace it back in the tube and ship it, but for sure, ask the lab first.

GoatColt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm about to go pick up a swab from vets office. I spoke with the lady at the lab and got info on what they need. I'm also about to buy a tarp, scalp, etc for the abscess. How would y'all suggest I wrap the abscess when it's drained? It's in such a strange spot