Lump

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
As always, its best to talk to a vet.

But I would probably flush with iodine.

Where was the covexin given? It is known to give lumps/abscesses. That is my first thought when I saw the pic.
Definitely test the puss though.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't think you would want to wrap the site. You want to allow it to drain. When my girl had the abscess I had to irrigate the site twice a day... your girl's lump might be fine with just keeping it clean and maybe using Blukote or some other spray.

GoatColt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
As always, its best to talk to a vet.

But I would probably flush with iodine.

Where was the covexin given? It is known to give lumps/abscesses. That is my first thought when I saw the pic.
Definitely test the puss though.
I don't know where it was given. They had it recorded on a paper they gave to me of the date. She has a scab about an inch to half an inch away so I'm thinking she may have punctured herself on something.

GoatColt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I wouldn't think you would want to wrap the site. You want to allow it to drain. When my girl had the abscess I had to irrigate the site twice a day... your girl's lump might be fine with just keeping it clean and maybe using Blukote or some other spray.
I'm afraid to let it drain on its own and endanger my other goats. I have read other people's experiences and most of them just go ahead and lance it and keep it clean for a few days.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
You should keep the goat separate until everything is healed over. Even if you flush it daily, you are still (possibly) putting your goats at risk.

I wouldn't bandage it. They will most likely pull it off anyway.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You should keep the goat separate until everything is healed over. Even if you flush it daily, you are still (possibly) putting your goats at risk.

I wouldn't bandage it. They will most likely pull it off anyway.
I agree... especially with the bandage. You just know she will rub it off. And anyway, fresh air will probably get it to heal faster.

But try to keep her bedding clean and flushing it out daily sounds like a great choice.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just to share... On Dr. Pol, when he lances a cyst, he squeezes out all that he can then uses a syringe filled with hydrogen peroxide and pumps the cavity full as it reacts with any remaining contents and "foams" any residue out and should kill any lingering crap inside. On bad cysts, he has recommended to the people that they do this twice a day for several days. The cyst your goat has doesn't look to be that bad and one go should be sufficient after lancing and squeezing out all you can.

After that, flushing with iodine will help it to dry out fast (and heal). Hydrogen peroxide kills good (healing) tissue as well as bad tissue, so I hesitate to use it past the first application. But by the same token, Iodine dries out (kills) all tissue it comes into contact with as well. You can see what it does in a matter of 24 hours to an umbilical cord...

As long as it's leaking stuff and open/not healed, you should keep her separated from the rest of the herd and if possible, in a place that your goats will never hang out routinely. Once you've determined it's not CL or she's hard scabbed over, she can safely go back with the others. Good luck!

GoatColt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When I swab the puss.. is it ok to send by mail next day? Do I just keep the swab at room temp?

GoatColt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We aren't able to seperate the goats. We have a pen for the boys and a pen for the girls . :( the doe we are breeding this yea isn't ready to be bred. We wanted to wait until may.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If it is CL, if the other goats come into contact with the pus/drainage/open sore, they too can become infected. That's the primary reason for separation. You just have to do what you have to do. Hope it's not CL. I believe once the pus has been swabbed and replaced in the tube, just get it mailed overnight/next day delivery. Again, the receiving lab should be able to answer those specific questions and give direction/guidance.

Latest posts