Lumpy Chin After Giving Birth

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My FF doe, Lily, gave birth last night. Two bucklings that came out on their own. Perfect births. (though it took me way too long to figure out how to tell what they were. lol) Lily is a great mom.

This morning I noticed Lily has a mushy lump under her chin. We scratch her there often, so I noticed the difference immediately.

I did a bit of online research and the closest I can come up with is Bottlejaw? I wormed her and attempted to give a vitamin B12 shot (think I got more on her than in her as you can tell by the ridiculous amount of yellow stained on her side :hide ). She's eating hay, scarfed down the apple tree leaves I brought her, is drinking and pooping okay, up and moving around...

Should I be concerned? Could a mushy lump like that be something else? A swollen lymph node (I know I get them after giving birth)? My first thought was an abscessed tooth, since she'd been grinding her teeth during labor and, even now, seems to be moving her mouth differently. But she's eating and doesn't seem to be in pain.

I hate to spend the money on a vet. My vet charges, like $300+ just for a fecal, I can't imagine what they'll charge if they have to come over for this. Or how stressful it will be if I have to load mama and babies and take them to an office full of dogs. sigh.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

And on a completely different note, how the heck do I get the afterbirth smell off my hands?? I used gloves during Lily's labor but, of course, touched the kids later and no matter how much I wash or what I use (goat soap, regular soap, baby shampoo...) the smell just lingers.

pictures: Can you see the lump?
20220414_095852.jpg20220414_095852_LI.jpg

And, new kids! HARD to get good pics of them. They move so much!
20220414_100302.jpg
20220414_100239.jpg20220414_100002.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
She may have needed deworming BUT hormones trigger an upbeat in worms at birthing. You did correct to deworm. The soft lumpy jaw will recede in a few days. Repeat dewormer in 10-14 days. She'll be fine....normal thing. Yes, they grit their teeth when kidding, their way to handle discomfort.

Vinegar on your hands should help....baking soda....a soft brush. It's part of birthing and not the best part. 😊. Enjoy the cute kids!

Hey. Congrats!!! :love. You did great. 👍

Latest posts