Lumpy Udder

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a Boer/Nubian cross doe who freshened for the first time this year. Her udder has always been kind of hard and lumpy compared to my other does. She has always been fine with her kids nursing her. I have milked her a little bit and she has allowed it. She was crabby about it at first, but not more than any other doe who had never been milked (I don't think). The last time I tried to milk her, she acted like it was uncomfortable. I felt her teats and now it seems like there is a lump in her actual teat (on the right side only). I decided I would not milk her until either that went away or I knew what it was and that it wouldn't hurt her. She has been CAE tested within the last year and was negative. She is not running a temp, nor does she seem otherwise sick. Her appetite is excellent. Her udder is just........odd. Not like my other does at all. Does this ring any bells with you guys?

ETA--She has been this way since her milk first came in. I have those paper mastitis tests with the little yellow dots on them, and she never has tested positive using one. She has never had any clots or blood in her milk either. My gut doesn't say "mastitis", but it does say that something isn't normal.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It sounds like it might be congested. The solution to that is usually massage and milking the dickens out of it in my understanding.

Warm compresses help too.

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She has twins that nurse vigorously. Wound't that have resolved it by now? They are 10 weeks old. It has been the same pretty consistently.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It didn't with the udder on a friends goat. The kids would nurse to the point where it was "work" and then just wait for the uncongested areas to refill.

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hmm. I will try warm compresses at the next milking. I have not tried it. Maybe it will help.

Island Creek Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
For those of you who have loosened a congested udder (we have one), how long do you put the compress on (10 min?) and how long do you massage? We're milking one 3x/day and doing compresses and massaging, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Please note, goat has been seen by vet, no mastitis via State Diagnostic Lab, all UTD, CAE/TB/Bruc/Johnes neg...