Luvmypets Journal: A New Season

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is your clipper missing a tooth? Glad you got them all done. Boy, those are some pretty unhappy looking alpacas :gig They aren't going to let you get anywhere near them for the next 6 months! :lol:
They were grumpy during it but very happy afterwards! I must ask, what did you mean by is my clipper missing a tooth?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lots of high ridges. Obviously a "get the fiber off" cut rather than a "show" cut. I don't guess it takes too much time before the height differences are "invisible".

I bet they are a LOT happier without their winter coats!!!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lots of high ridges. Obviously a "get the fiber off" cut rather than a "show" cut. I don't guess it takes too much time before the height differences are "invisible".

I bet they are a LOT happier without their winter coats!!!
Ah yes, it will even out in a few weeks.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
As long as S'more has his muzzle and brows, he will always have his character.....:)
They all look so much Cooler...and having shed the fleece, I know they feel so much Lighter....sure glad none of them "Floated Away" on ya.....:lol:
The ducks look good too!!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Was gonna say... when all that fleece is removed from the alpacas, there really isn't much meat to 'em. Yes, the tooth missing comment was because of all the "ridges" left behind. Just curious... is there some reason why the sheep didn't get their upper chest (brisket area) and neck sheared?

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just curious... is there some reason why the sheep didn't get their upper chest (brisket area) and neck sheared?
They did, just some places look a bit fuller than others, it honestly is just a lil poof on the front of their necks.

Here you can see it really isnt that much, ras probably has the most
IMG_8859.JPG

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
They look so funny after shearing. I had to laugh!
Perks of having hair sheep eh? Yes they do look a bit silly, I laughed at Razzle for a solid five minutes :D I think they look lovely though, Ras just looks silly because without his fluff his head is too big for his body :lol:

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ras is proggressong nicely in the healing process. Will not lie tho, the barn still smells like the surgery :sick even though I have the doors open and the fans on. I am very pleased by his immediate behavioral change. The few weeks leading up to his surgery Ras had started ramming me. It was so frustrating because he would come up to me for our usual snuggles but it turned aggressive :hit I like to sit in the grass and observe the animals and he would continually come up to roughly rub his head on me and ram me. It got obnoxious to the point I was pushing my "baby" away. I know how it gets with Rams and so the money I had been saving since last year finally went to good use. My dad seemed so proud that I would pay for the entire surgery($200) I told him I just wanted it done but he still didnt want me paying the whole price and so I got 100 back. Ras was in a poo mood on Monday, understandably so considering he had been knocked out and stripped of his..ahem.,medals. I told my dad to leave him on stall rest but when I get to the barn he is out grazing :rolleyes:. When I called the crew in he slowly mosied over. He didnt even rush in, I mean I knew he would be out of it but dang. He has been with the alpacas since the lambs arrived and he would CONSTANTLY knock over the alpaca feed buckets, which hang about two- three feet off the ground. But not on Monday, he slowly waddled in ate his dinner and layed down. Tuesday he was doing better, he was talking again with his awkward voice-cracking baa. Since his surgery he has become more skittish, he still lets me kiss his nose tho :cool:
And yesterday I was seeing my old bub again, not completely, but he has started his normal shenanigans again. He allowed for lots of snuggles, he let me pet his face, scratch under his chin, and rub the top of his head. He also was back to stealing food he shouldnt be :rolleyes: which, although annoying, is a relief to see him recovering so well. He also has had no interest in knocking the alpaca buckets down. Since his surgery I have seen no ramming behavior at all. The ewes seem thrilled he isnt harrassing them anymore. He seems almost confused that the hormones arent there anymore. I honestly couldnt be happier, I can finally enjoy my Razzleton!

My plans for fall are to rent a ram, I honestly don't want to keep a ram around full time. There is however a gorgeous longwool ram for sale right in my price range so we will see. I may email that breeder in fall and ask to rent a ram for october or so. If not I know someone in PA who I can most likely email.

I will also most likely be breeding Stella, she should be 9 months then so if shes a decent size I will put her in the breeding group.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad he is healing up fairly well, and I'm sure it is a bit confusing to him with such a sudden change. It sure will be much safer for ya in the barnyard and the others as well. Hope the fall time plans work theirself out for ya, too.