Luvmypets Journal: A New Season

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, the piglets have now been with us for a week and everyone is in love. Although they started out shy, after about four days my gilt decided people aren't so bad. The boar was next and then today the blonde gilt let me give her rubs. These babes are so frickin sweet it makes me so happy. They all want pets and belly rubs and they are barely nipping at all. I mean when we visited them the biting was SO bad but from what Ive seen, as I handle them the most, any nipping can be quickly corrected by a sharp "No!". Also all the babies have names now!

My gilt Emerald aka Emmy, I just cant express how much I love this little lady. As we have been doing a lot of work in the pig pen she comes up and sniffs you until you give her some love. Im so excited we have such a sweet pig in our breeding program!
IMG_2018.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG

Next we have the gilt my dad picked out who we have named Pearl! I was unsure of how her temperment was as she has been the shyest of the babes but today she let me give her belly rubs, and her face says it all :)
IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

And last but not least we have the little boar who we have named Hoover after the vacuume. He is a super sweet and spunky man.
IMG_1947.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love it that you are getting to do what you love to do. Your pigs are special, a rare breed with a lot of history. It doesn't hurt that they taste good too. ;)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, come on up @luvmypets! Bring a couple of your friendliest alpacas to explain to my boys that people are OK.

They do seem to like the sweet feed quite a bit. They come running from out in the pasture when I go down in the morning now. I'm hoping to parlay that into something I can give them while they are being worked on to soften the "pain" of being handled ;) But I figure I can't coax them into the barn with it because then they won't trust that I'm not going to trap them every time I try to give them some out behind the barn.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
The bigger hogs they are both doing well. As of two days ago Randy has lost interest in Priscilla so we are really hoping she is bred! Also Priss has become far less bratty after she got some company. This weekend was a bit slow but we repaired the fence between our the two sections of the pig run, so they can no longer get through. I also got Randy to lay down for some belly rubs, however after I stopped he got mad and was following me around for a good 10 minutes.
Im so pleased with how things are coming along. For once I feel like we are getting somewhere. Also we have been trying to figure out why the hot wire shorted out for a good month. Its crazy, we have tried everything.
Priscilla
IMG_1919.JPG

Randy
IMG_1977.JPG

And now some just because photos
IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

New pig shelter
IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG
I

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lovely animals.

Seems like maybe you'll need to be careful about loving on Randy too much if he is going to get aggressive when you stop.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Seems like maybe you'll need to be careful about loving on Randy too much if he is going to get aggressive when you stop.
Agreed, I will still give him some attention but not anything too much. The babies on the other hand ;)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
do y'all have plans to sell the piglets from Pricilla and Randy or keep them to raise for meat to sell? I guess you'd have to "balance" the books to see what you could get for piglets versus what it would cost to raise butcher pigs and what they sold for. I hope Pricilla is bred! :fl

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
We plan on raising hers for meat, depending on how many she has we may end up selling a few.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Given that these pigs are pretty rare in this country, why not sell some for breeding purposes? I ASSUME they would sell for reasonable money.

Or are you precluded from doing so by the person who sold them to you?