madelynmccabe's Thread: Lets See Everyone's Herd Houses!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goat, chickens, etc don't care what their houses look like anyway! My houses are over built, warm and draft free but... They're kinda ugly ;)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks, all. This 15 acre farm was a true Pnut farm before I bought it over 17 yrs ago. These are the "lower fields", as there is a gradual drop from top to woods @ back, about 50'. I do not use chemicals, some is native grass, overseeded with other. Orchard, Bermuda, crabgrass and some of the Australian Peas, chicory, rape, trefoil -- compliments of the "food plots" bags of seed I buy on closeout from deer hunt fanciers. I do rotate horses & goats through fields. With all the rain Spring into late summer, some fields weren't needed and were just cut. This is only a 6 week growth! The other 8-10 acres isn't so tall but still very, very thick base.
Would hay if I could find someone to bring equipment for such small space. A shame.....farm is a little "overgrown" with forage right now. Messy but pretty. Goats will clear fence lines & one of my carports that honeysuckle found but, I can't. My pigs are working on tilling a couple other acres for me. It's a LOT to keep up. Fall will clear some & my bushhog.

YES -- the woods around have lovely deer. A 14 pt buck & his does frequent visitors -- almost daily -- plus some wild turkeys. There's a nice mix of 50-100 acres plots each of woods & crop farms adjacent.

The huts are good with portable pens, for all the things I mentioned -- AND keeping some rascally roos in their place!
Used to never keep any but trying to raise some select types for flock renewal and sales. HUGE backyard community all around, 30-50 miles out, just looking for a few hens off and on. Plus my $2 doz eggs, vice $5 for same @WM.
...ya can do like I do every yr...what I can't get to during growing season gets Burned in the late fall and winter...saves a ton of physical work...and gets rid of the bulk....not to mention some of those seeds before spring...I only sow 1 of 4 fields for winter...but I only have 3 goats eating and the deer passing thru....my ducks go thru hay 3x as fast as the goats...they have plenty of browse and grass..they wintered on rye grass, acorns, and honeysuckle...LOL!!....sure is really Nice property!!

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
CntryBoy777, good thing you are NOT in Cal. where slash and burn is DEFNATELY NOT on the to do list . .. if you even strike a match all h*ll will break loose what with all of the environmental groups, fire dept., polititions, and whoever you may cause harm to see the first flicker of a flame. In some minds , their idea of agriculture is a primitive hoe and sweat on your back. Just a thaught !

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
CntryBoy777, good thing you are NOT in Cal. where slash and burn is DEFNATELY NOT on the to do list . .. if you even strike a match all h*ll will break loose what with all of the environmental groups, fire dept., polititions, and whoever you may cause harm to see the first flicker of a flame. In some minds , their idea of agriculture is a primitive hoe and sweat on your back. Just a thaught !
...that's 'Why' I wouldn't live in Calif....I figured out when I was a truck driver that once ya cross the Stateline...you're in a different country....don't mean any Offence....but there are 49 others to choose from....haven't met any from there that wasn't complaining....but leaving never crosses their mind...again no intentions of upsetting anyone from there...just sayin.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Funny thing about that don'tchaknow... We have a LOT of "EX"-Californians here in Colorado.

You know... they all moved here to get away from that oppressive/overbearing Govt, high taxes, high cost of living, pollution, traffic, and, well you probably can figure that part out... Besides, although we don't have the ocean, we have mountains and a similar climate (lots of sun).

What I can't figure out is why they'd all move here to get away from all that stuff, and then do their damnedest to institute the same thing here that caused them to leave CA?! Can't fathom it, and can't fight it, so I'm moving from here.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Funny thing about that don'tchaknow... We have a LOT of "EX"-Californians here in Colorado.

You know... they all moved here to get away from that oppressive/overbearing Govt, high taxes, high cost of living, pollution, traffic, and, well you probably can figure that part out... Besides, although we don't have the ocean, we have mountains and a similar climate (lots of sun).

What I can't figure out is why they'd all move here to get away from all that stuff, and then do their damnedest to institute the same thing here that caused them to leave CA?! Can't fathom it, and can't fight it, so I'm moving from here.
A mind that is 'Twisted' will never 'See' straight....no matter Where their 'Feet' are located....hopefully not Close by here...oh that's right...we are just uneducated 'Rednecks' here in Mississippi...and I Love it!!....LOL!!!

Latest posts